First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

DFTK, period. If you at some point in your past did FTK or tried to FTK you do not deserve a second chance to work with minors.

End of discussion.

This is not hard.

They can have a 2nd chance at life as a welder or mechanic or salesperson or literally anything but not working with minors in drum corps. Why is this even a discussion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

We sit on this forum everyday wondering how to provide a safe environment for the MMs. All of us wearing our hearts on our selves hoping for the best. Posting well intended advice that we hope the powers to be notice.

What is overlooked is what YEA did to clear Mr. Sean King. He was willing to lay his life out before a third party to prove his integrity and proved the court of public opinion wrong. There is a way to look into someone's back ground. To paint a true picture of trusted realities, true intensions, separate fact from fiction. A coming of age that makes you feel good.

If that is to much for a potential staff members to go through then you get what you deserve, but the stakes are to high to just let that be the case. We know that and the corps/dci must have learned something from MR, Sean King.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

56 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Everyone deserves a second chance and maybe new by-laws if they come can leave some wiggle room..  

This is of course a matter of opinion. From my perspective, and I would imagine ( or hope anyway ) that most Parents would think Hell No to a " second chance" around vulnerable youth in summer long, 9 week, overnight, trips from schools to schools, crisscrossing the Country. I don't give adults caught in untrustworhy acts with Minors a " second chance ". They  had their chance. And they blew it.  Let them get a " second chance" in another profession... one where they don't put themselves, not other Parent's children at risk any more. The notion that there is a prevailing attitude in some quarters to give these sex offenders another " second chance " in DCI Drum Corps.. with any " wiggle room"... chills me to the bone. You people with such permissive attitudes are scary for me. Not sure I'd allow any of my children to participate in DCI Drum Corps with such permissive, dangerous, attitudes prevalent still in DCI Drum Corps.. As a parent, I only get " one chance " to make sure my Children are fully safeguarded to the best of my abilities until they become adults..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

This is of course a matter of opinion.

Thank you BRASSO I  was looking for the counter balance. The hard stance of zero tolerance. I agree, that is what the MMs and the parents assume and deserve. The point is we have a zero tolerance rule now at least implied and I hope is spelled out in the health &  safety guidelines. One does not need to be an expert on what the new rules are. It's oblivious w/o proper oversight. Zero Tolerance has differed interpretations amongst the powers to be. They are becoming the problem by not thinking a like not banding together.

I am all for Zero Tolerance but it needs to be in forced, try to make an example of a corps for violating zero tolerance and your the problem being to harsh, can't win.

Edited by Bluzes

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Thank you BRASSO I  was looking for the counter balance. The hard stance of zero tolerance. I agree, that is what the MMs and the parents assume and deserve.   .

You confuse me though, Bluezes... Why did you originally state above that " everyone deserves a second chance", and maybe theres " some wiggle room " in By Laws to give offenders potentially such a " second chance " ?

8 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Thank you BRASSO I  was looking for the counter balance. The hard stance of zero tolerance. I agree, that is what the MMs and the parents assume and deserve. The point is we have a zero tolerance rule now at least implied and I hope is spelled out in the health &  safety guidelines. One does not need to be an expert on what the new rules are. It's oblivious w/o proper oversight. Zero Tolerance has differed interpretations amongst the powers to be. They are becoming the problem by not thinking a like not banding together.

I am all for Zero Tolerance but it needs to be in forced, try to make an example of a corps for violating zero tolerance and your the problem being to harsh, can't win.

Well, the 70's had examples of DCI corps getting DQ'ed for overage members, and in some corners they would say the punishments were 'too harsh', but it cleaned up that side of the activity after circa 1978.... only one real notable exception after that date come to think of it.

I don't think corps managements want to be "that person" who blew up their corps over something like this if the penalty was suspension/DQ/Death Penalty, but I guess someone might unfortunately prove me wrong.

22 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

DFTK, period. If you at some point in your past did FTK or tried to FTK you do not deserve a second chance to work with minors.

End of discussion.

This is not hard.

They can have a 2nd chance at life as a welder or mechanic or salesperson or literally anything but not working with minors in drum corps. Why is this even a discussion?

One reason this is a discussion is because the DCI community has not yet decided where to draw the line on what constitutes "FTK or tried to FTK".

Another reason is that the DCI community has not yet decided to veto second chances for adults in favor of safety for the kids.

9 hours ago, BigW said:

Unfortunately, I think it was a rather unfortunate side effect in the one case I can think of. My guess is that it would have created too much trouble and too many questions for the organization that they felt they couldn't afford at that point.

agreed. but it's hurt that person seeking work elsewhere. Offers were made, but declined because of knowing the backlash that would come 

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I think it is already happening, the activity is moving in the right direction. Some corps were just slower than others to catch on to the seriousness of the situation. Dci is still handling some lingering fall out from days past. There may be other corps still behind the eight ball things that surface and deserve some flogging. The corps in question and all corps will be better than before, it will be a new day,

it's going to be a process, and it will take time. Anyone expecting perfection on this overnight is delusional. That progress is being made after years of being ignored is a good sign, but I don't expect it to be 100% solved instantly

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Everyone deserves a second chance and maybe new by-laws if they come can leave some wiggle room. How they prove themselves, in what environment do they prove themselves? Most of the baggage came from working in a school in the daytime. If new rules do go there? Proving themselves is not jumping on the nightshift with minors and hoping for the best.

Common sense says it should be years of proof, doing the right thing. Also dci can have its own qualified guidance counsel that plays a role in hiring these individuals. Right now dci seems the only option left for some to keep working in their profession. Something that is easy to change, close the loopholes, set bars on acceptance and feel good about it..  

it's too much of a risky subject to open up for second chances. Seriously......for every one person that gets the second chance and earns the trust, you'll have those that strike again. The risk is not worth it.