First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

DFTK, period. If you at some point in your past did FTK or tried to FTK you do not deserve a second chance to work with minors.

End of discussion.

This is not hard.

They can have a 2nd chance at life as a welder or mechanic or salesperson or literally anything but not working with minors in drum corps. Why is this even a discussion?

because the better nature of some people always want to find that way to help people. 

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Another reason is that the DCI community has not yet decided to veto second chances for adults in favor of safety for the kids.

So start a poll on DCP:  "should any person who has been (a) convicted, or (b) had their teaching license suspended or revoked, or (c) otherwise been the subject of reasonably credible accusations that did not result in either (a) or (b) for some reason, as a result of that person having had romantic or sexual relations with a minor, or person 22 or under who was then a student of said person, be permitted to work directly with marchers in a DCI corps?"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

You confuse me though, Bluezes... Why did you originally state above that " everyone deserves a second chance", and maybe theres " some wiggle room " in By Laws to give offenders potentially such a " second chance " ?

Its a discussion a debate ideas are kicked around some are discarded, some are just bad ideas. Pictures are drawn for others to provide constructive criticism. Identifying pointing out confusion like your doing now helps us get to the bottom of things, what's right, what's wrong. If by confusing the situation we land on a zero tolerance policy. I am happy, but the objective is to get the correct people those that may never even read our posts, That in reality we are living in the 2an chance mentality world and hurting the activity. That's confusion that hurts.

The folks we look up to in this activity that we trust to provide a safe environment for the MMs are confused. I am a nobody that does not harm MMs when I am confused and don't fight to the death to be right. There is more than one way to (I like Cats) do anything. It's a winding road we just need to get to the right place in the end. 

"Your confused, I 'am confused, He's confused, She's confused we are all confused"  something like that from The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

This is of course a matter of opinion. From my perspective, and I would imagine ( or hope anyway ) that most Parents would think Hell No to a " second chance" around vulnerable youth in summer long, 9 week, overnight, trips from schools to schools, crisscrossing the Country. I don't give adults caught in untrustworhy acts with Minors a " second chance ". They  had their chance. And they blew it.  Let them get a " second chance" in another profession... one where they don't put themselves, not other Parent's children at risk any more. The notion that there is a prevailing attitude in some quarters to give these sex offenders another " second chance " in DCI Drum Corps.. with any " wiggle room"... chills me to the bone. You people with such permissive attitudes are scary for me. Not sure I'd allow any of my children to participate in DCI Drum Corps with such permissive, dangerous, attitudes prevalent still in DCI Drum Corps.. As a parent, I only get " one chance " to make sure my Children are fully safeguarded to the best of my abilities until they become adults..

about a year to the date of the YEA explosion, a very good friend of mine, in the Allentown area no less, with lots of drum corps ties was accused of relations with a band student/classroom student. it broke my heart to hear, and it turned out to be true.

I'd love to pick up the phone and hear  his voice...I miss him a lot. But because of what he did....I cut all ties. I have to. In my mind, talking to him condones it, even though my heart wants to give him every chance to prove he's learned and can right his personal ship

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

So start a poll on DCP:  "should any person who has been (a) convicted, or (b) had their teaching license suspended or revoked, or (c) otherwise been the subject of reasonably credible accusations that did not result in either (a) or (b) for some reason, as a result of that person having had romantic or sexual relations with a minor, or person 22 or under who was then a student of said person, be permitted to work directly with marchers in a DCI corps?"

well, one thing about that:

DCI has proven time and time again what is discussed on here means nothing to them.

Unless of course they all get together and laugh about what they read on here

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Its a discussion a debate ideas are kicked around some are discarded, some are just bad ideas. Pictures are drawn for others to provide constructive criticism. Identifying pointing out confusion like your doing now helps us get to the bottom of things, what's right, what's wrong. If by confusing the situation we land on a zero tolerance policy. I am happy, but the objective is to get the correct people those that may never even read our posts, That in reality are living in the 2an chance mentality world and hurting the activity. That's confusion that hurts.

The folks we look up to in this activity that we trust to provide a safe environment for the MMs are confused. I am a nobody that does not harm an MMs when I am confused and don't fight to the death to be right. There is more than one way to (I like Cats) do anything. It's a winding road we just need to get to the right place in the end. 

there's no discussion to be had. do it or try it, your ### is gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI has proven time and time again what is discussed on here means nothing to them.

Post the poll on the Facebook page for the Cadets Parents ... post it on other corps' FB pages ... let DCI ignore it then at their own risk.

Edited by Eleran

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Everyone deserves a second chance and maybe new by-laws if they come can leave some wiggle room. How they prove themselves, in what environment do they prove themselves? Most of the baggage came from working in a school in the daytime. If new rules do go there? Proving themselves is not jumping on the nightshift with minors and hoping for the best.

Common sense says it should be years of proof, doing the right thing. Also dci can have its own qualified guidance counsel that plays a role in hiring these individuals. Right now dci seems the only option left for some to keep working in their profession. Something that is easy to change, close the loopholes, set bars on acceptance and feel good about it..  

Not a second chance with children absolutely not. There is reasons for that. I have a 13year old daughter and No way I will knowing allow her to be around someone with abuse on their record. Even suspicion of abuse would cause me to act. I do not expect other to look after the health and safety of my own. And I dang sure would not send my kid off to a corps knowing someone there has abused in the past. Not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Unless of course they all get together and laugh about what they read on here

This is a true statement. DCI most likely ignores any sort of social media pressure. Either that or they just don't give a rats a@@ about the kids? 

10 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Post the poll on the Facebook page for the Cadets Parents ... post it on other corps' FB pages ... let DCI ignore it then at their own risk.

they are going to listen to their lawyers.

• Like 1