Predators, past thoughts, future forecast?

Predator vs Vatican could be an interesting movie....

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Predator vs Vatican could be an interesting movie....

Made in Hollywood... oh the irony.

• Like 3

I have not been on DCP for a few days. Quite a bit happening.

Keeping the wrong people away is not always fool proof, but there are a few things that have been known for making improvements in this area.

The most effective way to keep predators at bay is having staff and volunteers trained to spot such offenders. The stereotype of "Chester the Molester" hiding in the bushes offering kids candy has never been the norm. Predators gain trust and groom and try to appear to be above reproach. This is true with both young people and adults. When predators know they are being watched keeps them away.

Criminal background checks are a must, even if they are limited. The National Sex Offender Registry is an important resource though this can be limited and has been known to have errors. FBI is somewhat limited as well due to the nature of the FBI and its investigations.. Known offenders most likely would not take the risk of having any background checks completed. 

There is a third action which is key. All staff and all volunteers should have to fill out an application for the position. Each applicant has to have three references , letters if possible, which of course will be glowing, but it is still an important part of the process, and only hire someone who is willing to let you call current and former employers outside of the drum corps world. I could be wrong, but I would be willing to bet that in many cases, someone is approached by a corps to be a caption head. The caption head brings on his/her people. Because everybody knows everybody else, the person is rarely questioned. Tightening up in this way probably will not change the staff all that drastically, but it does keep people who should not be involved from slipping through the cracks. It also keeps the "I know this guy, he's fine" from happening. 

The two programs that I am most familiar with are the program developed by the Boy Scouts, probably the most comprehensive since it involves supervising overnight activities and Virtus. Both recommend these or similar procedures.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have not been on DCP for a few days. Quite a bit happening.

Keeping the wrong people away is not always fool proof, but there are a few things that have been known for making improvements in this area.

The most effective way to keep predators at bay is having staff and volunteers trained to spot such offenders. The stereotype of "Chester the Molester" hiding in the bushes offering kids candy has never been the norm. Predators gain trust and groom and try to appear to be above reproach. This is true with both young people and adults. When predators know they are being watched keeps them away.

Criminal background checks are a must, even if they are limited. The National Sex Offender Registry is an important resource though this can be limited and has been known to have errors. FBI is somewhat limited as well due to the nature of the FBI and its investigations.. Known offenders most likely would not take the risk of having any background checks completed. 

There is a third action which is key. All staff and all volunteers should have to fill out an application for the position. Each applicant has to have three references , letters if possible, which of course will be glowing, but it is still an important part of the process, and only hire someone who is willing to let you call current and former employers outside of the drum corps world. I could be wrong, but I would be willing to bet that in many cases, someone is approached by a corps to be a caption head. The caption head brings on his/her people. Because everybody knows everybody else, the person is rarely questioned. Tightening up in this way probably will not change the staff all that drastically, but it does keep people who should not be involved from slipping through the cracks. It also keeps the "I know this guy, he's fine" from happening. 

The two programs that I am most familiar with are the program developed by the Boy Scouts, probably the most comprehensive since it involves supervising overnight activities and Virtus. Both recommend these or similar procedures.

A simple google search can go a long way.

1 minute ago, bullethead said:

A simple google search can go a long way.

True, and I do a Google search whenever I so much as receive a resume, but formal hiring procedures are still critical.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

True, and I do a Google search whenever I so much as receive a resume, but formal hiring procedures are still critical.

I wasn't suggesting that "formal hiring procedures" aren't critical or prudent, but a simple google search could render any need for that completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bullethead said:

I wasn't suggesting that "formal hiring procedures" aren't critical or prudent, but a simple google search could render any need for that completely unnecessary.

not always but google will call up wikipedia which can be updated by anyone anytime

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not always but google will call up wikipedia which can be updated by anyone anytime

Thanks for explaining that - I had no idea!

Public records are generally considered to be a bit more reliable than wikipedia. 

Edited by bullethead

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

A Miramax film, starring Kevin Spacey.

Directed by Roman Polanski

• Like 1