Predators, past thoughts, future forecast?

20 years ago I was VP on a church council (hard up for warm bodies so there I was). At the time people just waking up to child predators. So our insurance company gave us training in how better to protect our kids (and lower the premiums which sad to say was a selling point). Bit I remember from them is:

Scouts, schools and other youth groups are waking up to predators and are taking steps to keep them out of their organizations. So predators are looking for groups not doing anything to protect themselves. Lot of Churches at the time were not doing anything so predators going there.

Now DCI is starting to get their act together about sexual harassment and predators. So any thoughts on if this will help keep predators out or not make a difference? Did being behind on this be part of the reason why we have such issues today. Or any other thoughts on the matter?

Note: the 20 year old training dealt with youth. This discussion is trying to expand it to talk about any type of predator.

34 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Now DCI is starting to get their act together about sexual harassment and predators. So any thoughts on if this will help keep predators out or not make a difference?

It is hard to keep predators out because you don't know what is in people's hearts (and a background check will not tell you this either).  I would think the needed steps would be to have accountability in place to prevent them from acting.  I don't know what they are doing in that regard.

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did being behind on this be part of the reason why we have such issues today. Or any other thoughts on the matter?

My guess is that its always been there and has always been the same, but not much attention was given to it. Maybe it was even generally not as bad as issues elsewhere, so people assumed it was fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if DCi requires mandatory training in "Youth Protection" for all corps staff ?

I've been involved with the Boy Scouts in this area and they do require this type of training.

I believe its available on line.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

It is hard to keep predators out because you don't know what is in people's hearts (and a background check will not tell you this either).  I would think the needed steps would be to have accountability in place to prevent them from acting.  I don't know what they are doing in that regard.

Finally, practical application for the future in for educational settings: (I bolded the reference in the quote)

1) Always 2 adults present and involved.

2) Code of conduct  that addresses educators interactions with student(s) on social media and messaging (observable messaging apps with multiple access points for supervisors to spot check interactions?)

More?

• Like 1

Two deep leadership and no one-on-one contact should be the rule of the world when it comes to DCI and its member corps. A staff member/corps administrator/corps volunteer should NEVER EVER be alone with a member that is a minor without at least one other member peer or adult present. Ever. Period and end of story. 

Always two adults with a child or children was beat into us 20 years back. Protects the kid from a single abuser and protects the adult in case allegations are made.

Also in my current work training we are told how to report abuse and who to report it to. And who else to report it to if you don't trust who you are supposed to go to. That part was missing from DCI policy last I looked.

20 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Two deep leadership and no one-on-one contact should be the rule of the world when it comes to DCI and its member corps. A staff member/corps administrator/corps volunteer should NEVER EVER be alone with a member that is a minor without at least one other member peer or adult present. Ever. Period and end of story. 

That should be carved in stone for any student/member and staff interaction. It has been that way with the band I taught for 24 years since I started. We had a student who was not picked up once by a parent after a show, and nobody answered the phone when called. The director and I both drove the student home, even though the student lived about 5 minutes from me, and we made sure somebody was there to receive him.  

Ends up dad had fallen asleep on the couch. He was very apologetic; he was one of the very best and involved parents with the band, so we knew it was an accident.

When I saw the first word in the OP topic "Predators" I thought maybe the HOP had started a new corps. :sarcasm::sarcasm::peek:

The two to one rule is all fine and good and is a good deterrent. Trouble is of course that pervs / predators find a way to single out kids. Dealing with kids is very serious and I get the feeling many corps are taking it way to lightly. 

28 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That should be carved in stone for any student/member and staff interaction. It has been that way with the band I taught for 24 years since I started. We had a student who was not picked up once by a parent after a show, and nobody answered the phone when called. The director and I both drove the student home, even though the student lived about 5 minutes from me, and we made sure somebody was there to receive him.  

Ends up dad had fallen asleep on the couch. He was very apologetic; he was one of the very best and involved parents with the band, so we knew it was an accident.

Its mandatory in their By Laws that all members of the Couchmen get 9 hours of evening sleep,  plus an hour and a half of nap time each afternoon, if additionally needed. But they have to be alert for any family obligations that might arise... so he should have known better.:biggrin:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Now DCI is starting to get their act together about sexual harassment and predators. So any thoughts on if this will help keep predators out or not make a difference? 

DCI will do a much better job in keeping predators/ sexual harassers out of their DCI from here on out, or the national media will continue do that job for them. Either way, predators are no longer going to find DCI Drum Corps such a suitable destination for themselves as it apparently has been in the past to some degree.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2