Predators, past thoughts, future forecast?

2 hours ago, bullethead said:

I wasn't suggesting that "formal hiring procedures" aren't critical or prudent, but a simple google search could render any need for that completely unnecessary.

If you Googled my name a little over a year ago, you would have found that I was charged with larceny by means of a fraudulent check, and was sentenced to one year probation and 100 hours of community service. You would also discover that I have written a book on infant and toddler health. Checking today, I’m no longer bouncing large checks but I am retiring as mayor and running for state senate in one state and I’m a college professor in another. I know I’m someone who wears lots of hats, I just never knew I wore so many.  :sigh:

I went through the facilitator training program of Virtus, one of the highest regarded sex abuse prevention programs in the country and many people taking the training thought it was too much work,  but Virtus’ argument at the time was the more formal the vetting, the less likely the perpetrator. When everyone knows everyone else and there are blurred lines, that’s how people sneak through the cracks. They say there is the famous “six degrees of separation” in the world, but I would venture in drum corps there is two or three. This familiarity is great for collaboration and community, but not for establishing proper boundaries.

Edited by Tim K

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Directed by Roman Polanski

and the hits just keep rolling on. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If you Googled my name a little over a year ago, you would have found that I was charged with larceny by means of a fraudulent check, and was sentenced to one year probation and 100 hours of community service. You would also discover that I have written a book on infant and toddler health. Checking today, I’m no longer bouncing large checks but I am retiring as mayor for state senate in one state and I’m a college professor in another. I know I’m someone who wears lots of hats, I just never knew I wore so many.  :sigh:

I went through the facilitator training program of Virtus, one of the highest regarded sex abuse prevention programs in the country and many people taking the training thought it was too much work,  but Virtus’ argument at the time was the more formal the vetting, the less likely the perpetrator. When everyone knows everyone else and there are blurred lines, that’s how people sneak through the cracks. They say there is the famous “six degrees of separation” in the world, but I would venture in drum corps there is two or three. This familiarity is great for collaboration and community, but not for establishing proper boundaries.

if you google my name, it'll probably lead here LOL

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you google my name, it'll probably lead here LOL

I come up as dead in first couple of links. And my name ain’t common 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

you need to think about that DUDE...lol:tongue:

Dude, i am not worried. drum corps hasn't cost me a job yet

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you Googled my name a little over a year ago, you would have found that I was charged with larceny by means of a fraudulent check, and was sentenced to one year probation and 100 hours of community service. You would also discover that I have written a book on infant and toddler health. Checking today, I’m no longer bouncing large checks but I am retiring as mayor and running for state senate in one state and I’m a college professor in another. I know I’m someone who wears lots of hats, I just never knew I wore so many.  :sigh:

And with all that going on, you still find the time to post here.  Amazing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you're applying for someone who consults wikipedia as a resource on your background, you may not be applying at a promising workplace. You seem like a smart guy - you just apparently believe that nobody else can be.

FACT - a simple google search reveals that there are proven, legit issues and/or charges against Joel Moody And Eric Thompson. NOT wikipedia BS. Members and parents apparently didn't even do this, as there are accounts of them being "surprised" by the news. There is blame to be placed with these organizations, who knowingly, willingly employed people like this, and there's also at least some blame to go to parents and even members, It's not that hard.....

Amazing that you apparently believe that the majority of people in charge would search on wikipedia for Eric Thompson and be satisfied with he "was an English actor, television presenter and producer. He is best remembered for creating and performing the English narration for The Magic Roundabout,[1] which he adapted from the original French Le Manège Enchanté." or, if you search for Joel Moody, you get "The page "Joel moody" does not exist."......so I guess that's a great alibi.

It's just really not that difficult to find some pretty important things out.....from legitimate sources. 

The REAL problem, is that groups KNOW of this stuff, and yet enable these people by willingly employing them, despite having that knowledge.

Thanks for dumbing this down as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI will do a much better job in keeping predators/ sexual harassers out of their DCI from here on out, or the national media will continue do that job for them

Through standardized procedures and lessons learned every day. The recent Genesis issue is nowhere near the national media but is a lesson learned.

The Genesis Reddit poster is not associated with Genesis at all, they uncovered their veil having links, pdf's, and the teachers entire storied past. A vendetta outside of Genesis.

That is all this is. There is no evidence that this person did anything wrong. Reports are, he experienced a wonderful tenure with Genesis. All that down the drain through no fault of himself or Genesis.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   When judgment day comes and the corps need to make these tough decisions regarding baggaged staff. They can look back at Genesis and see how good intentions turn bad on both parties. That is the reason we can't hire, and do it in confidence knowing you did the right thing.   

42 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Through standardized procedures and lessons learned every day. The recent Genesis issue is nowhere near the national media but is a lesson learned.

The Genesis Reddit poster is not associated with Genesis at all, they uncovered their veil having links, pdf's, and the teachers entire storied past. A vendetta outside of Genesis.

That is all this is. There is no evidence that this person did anything wrong. Reports are, he experienced a wonderful tenure with Genesis. All that down the drain through no fault of himself or Genesis.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   When judgment day comes and the corps need to make these tough decisions regarding baggaged staff. They can look back at Genesis and see how good intentions turn bad on both parties. That is the reason we can't hire, and do it in confidence knowing you did the right thing.   

http://cdn.radioiowa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Thompson-ruling.pdf

Not wikipedia. 

I guess you'll trust a drum corps press release over a valid government document. This isn't the Warren Report.

Get your head out of the sand.

Edited by bullethead
additional info
  • Like 3