Predators, past thoughts, future forecast?

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

There is no evidence that this person did anything wrong.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Yes there is. The fact that perhaps you were not aware of this, does not mean that it it so. ( see above posted public court record of findings that is linked by DCP poster bullethead )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullethead said:

If you're applying for someone who consults wikipedia as a resource on your background, you may not be applying at a promising workplace. You seem like a smart guy - you just apparently believe that nobody else can be.

I think you may be ranting against the wrong person. I never suggested consulting Wikipedia. 

Fred Morrison never claimed he did not know of Joel Moody’s past, nor did Chris Mogonigol claim to not know Eric Thompson’s past. As a matter of fact I said the familiarity of so many people in drum corps is the problem. 

I said in an earlier post, I do Google searches when I receive a resume, but a Google search is not enough. It can be helpful for an initial elimination, but not all people you do not want working for you has a notorious case like Moody or Thompson. I do work for a non profit, and policy is that  I must document that I contacted former employers and references. I work for a non profit and if you make a bad hire and you say you did a criminal background check and consulted Google, but never checked employment history or checked references, you may be the one looking for employment.

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think you may be ranting against the wrong person. I never suggested consulting Wikipedia. 

Fred Morrison never claimed he did not know of Joel Moody’s past, nor did Chris Mogonigol claim to not know Eric Thompson’s past. As a matter of fact I said the familiarity of so many people in drum corps is the problem. 

The problem, is that they 100% knew about it.

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I said in an earlier post, I do Google searches when I receive a resume, but a Google search is not enough. It can be helpful for an initial elimination, but not all people you do not want working for you has a notorious case like Moody or Thompson. I do work for a non profit, and policy is that  I must document that I contacted former employers and references. I work for a non profit and if you make a bad hire and you say you did a criminal background check and consulted Google, but never checked employment history or checked references, you may be the one looking for employment.

Of course. I never suggested that a full background check wasn't necessary, that was something that was unfairly extrapolated by Jeff Ream.

FWIW:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Joel+Moody+Teacher&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Eric+Thompson+teacher&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Fred Morrison never claimed he did not know of Joel Moody’s past, nor did Chris Mogonigol claim to not know Eric Thompson’s past.

Thats the problem too. We could add Hopkins hire of a guy at the Cadets that as a school employee had secretly videotaped a female minor behind school boxes in a school's clothes changing area and was found guilty by a Jury at trial for the incident.  These hires and retentions of these untrustworthy creeps within the DCI has become a PR disaster because these DCI Corps employer's knew of this past breech of trust with minors in their care, and yet chose to hire them anyway. A background check info then, in essence becomes useless, if employers HAVE the info they need not to put other parents children unknowingly at risk, but decided to go ahead on these risks and hire them anyway.  How'd that all work out for these Corps that made these risky hires ? Not well,.. not well at all, would be the assessment it would seem to me. DCI HQ is not all that pleased either with these hires it would now appear.. These hires now made public have become an unmitigated public relations disaster for DCI. Hopefully, moving forward,  lessons have been learned here by DCI and its member Corps. Only time will really tell however.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You never suggested consulting wikipedia, but you assumed that's what I did.

I NEVER suggested that a background check wasn't warranted, however.....if you can find docs like I referenced above, I think you'd be wasting your time. Maybe you have more time than I do.

The problem is that, in both of these cases, they 100% knew about it.

1 hour ago, bullethead said:

I guess you'll trust a drum corps press release over a valid government document.

I don't distrust anything just pointing out that hiring staff with a background not favorable to working with kids even with the best intensions in mind often backfires

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

There is no evidence that this person did anything wrong. 

51 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes there is. The fact that perhaps you were not aware of this, does not mean that it it so. ( see above posted public court record of findings that is linked by DCP poster bullethead )

I didn't want that to be the case, now it is. I am not in his corner but would have felt worse if I accused someone of things they didn't do, I am not in the know. Even proves the point more dci can learn from the Genesis crisis and not put themselves in this situation. This just boils down to Risk Assessment it should not be done

22 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I didn't want that to be the case, now it is. I am not in his corner but would have felt worse if I accused someone of things they didn't do, I am not in the know. Even proves the point more dci can learn from the Genesis crisis and not put themselves in this situation. This just boils down to Risk Assessment it should not be done

DCI really is at a crossroads here, imo. They either stop hiring these creeps,  retaining these creeps in Corps, or the media will continue to do their job, and it'll be a drip, drip, drip, of one revealing bad hire/ retention after another. You know who's REALLY risk avoidant ? Public Schools. They abhor bad press, and don't want to be aligned with ANY organization that is getting drip, drip, drip, of bad press. Guess where Corps get the bulk of their summer housing for marchers/ staffers on summer and overnight travels ? The schools. DCI needs to get this right. If they don't the continual bad press will likely begin to show up in schools getting nervous and capitulating to the bad press, and could begin to stop granting permission for DCI Corps to use their school facilities. If that happens... well, its all over, isn't it.  I am hopeful DCI really understands that its future is in its hands. They get to decide whether or not they make the positive changes required, ( not just lip service either ) or if not, they go down in flames.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, bullethead said:

If you're applying for someone who consults wikipedia as a resource on your background, you may not be applying at a promising workplace. You seem like a smart guy - you just apparently believe that nobody else can be.

FACT - a simple google search reveals that there are proven, legit issues and/or charges against Joel Moody And Eric Thompson. NOT wikipedia BS. Members and parents apparently didn't even do this, as there are accounts of them being "surprised" by the news. There is blame to be placed with these organizations, who knowingly, willingly employed people like this, and there's also at least some blame to go to parents and even members, It's not that hard.....

Amazing that you apparently believe that the majority of people in charge would search on wikipedia for Eric Thompson and be satisfied with he "was an English actor, television presenter and producer. He is best remembered for creating and performing the English narration for The Magic Roundabout,[1] which he adapted from the original French Le Manège Enchanté." or, if you search for Joel Moody, you get "The page "Joel moody" does not exist."......so I guess that's a great alibi.

It's just really not that difficult to find some pretty important things out.....from legitimate sources. 

The REAL problem, is that groups KNOW of this stuff, and yet enable these people by willingly employing them, despite having that knowledge.

Thanks for dumbing this down as much as possible.

honestly, DCI needs to maintain a do not hire list thats shared by all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1