When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

58 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And MLS will have a franchise there in 2020.

Their stadium is gonna be amazing. DCI should consider playing there.

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

point of history: the NY Jets discarded the name Titans when victories did not arrive.

I love their uniforms. Almost bought a retro jersey a few years ago.

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

been re-written to the point of removing any mention of the term "drum corps").

A real trigger point been seeing it coming for a long time, Ensembles anyone! Lots of letters to crunch. ENI, ESI, EBI just pondering. not that dci isn't a well known logo or anything.

Change can't come soon enough, call it a sea change just get it done. What the name drum corps take it. Just fix the health & safety issues so we can be all happy campers again.

However dci having time to worry about changing the name drum corps as a solution, oh well. Let us not overthink things.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

Great topic and I've enjoyed reading some of the various responses.

My 2 cents:  An important question to ask is if the popularity of drum corps expands, who exactly become members of the now expanded audience?  If they are just any Joe Schmo off the street, one who may or may not have any particular music, dance or theater background to foster a deeper appreciation of what they're hearing and seeing,  would shows eventually be dumbed down?  I would hate that if it happened.

Drum corps reminds me a lot of barbershop (a milieu I grew up in and am very familiar with).  It is niche, its fans are whole-heartedly enthusiastic, knowledgeable, loyal and appreciative!  They perform in and attend shows....  and then everybody goes back to school or work on Monday and life goes on.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

DCI  - Drum Corps International, Drum Corps, Drum & Bugle Corps all these names for this activity has ran it's course. I see dci's concern. The current titles don't provide any visual. Packs very little GE. Tell someone that they may enjoy a show and they think, just drums? Tell them it is like a Marching Band that could make it less likely they will go. It's an activity that there is no description for, ideas?

Marching Bands, Drum & Bugles. Lots of folks tucked them terms outside of their Normalcy Bias a long time ago. That's not in my wheelhouse. 

Do it - The traditionalist will get over it, just my take. 

• Like 1

As popular as DCI may be, its economic success rides far too much on the backs of the marching members.  DCI is fortunate to be able to sell a product that literally pays for itself. For the activity to truly expand, it needs to reach out to an even larger audience and open the activity to more kids that don't need a small loan to participate on drum corps' biggest stages.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

more kids that don't need a small loan to participate on drum corps' biggest stages.

SoundSport may fill that void initially but if they want to progress to OC/WC funding may become an issue. Catch 22, maybe SoundSport gets them to an age they can get a job to help out their parents. 

Just now, Bluzes said:

SoundSport may fill that void initially but if they want to progress to OC/WC funding may become an issue. Catch 22, maybe SoundSport gets them to an age they can get a job to help out their parents. 

it's expensive all the way around. To be in a winter guard could cost $ 1500 to 2 grand for many also

It's too bad everything is so expensive  BUT It's 2018 and I wish I can spend 30cents a gallon for gas like in the 70s and 25 cents for a loaf of bread.....not gonna happen

15 hours ago, dans said:

Baseball is like watching paint dry. That is why Baseball is losing popularity.

This guy gets it. I think I might rather watch poker on ESPN than watch baseball 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

it's expensive all the way around.

All the way around is correct it's been like that for a long having a son in Dutch Boy and even Boston and living in Conn. We were not able to participate in local fundraising events and other volunteer activities to help pay down some of the tour fees. Competitive drum corps has lost a local connection to them type of opportunities, just the way it is.