When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with both of those.  Not a huge hockey fan, but it is insane in person.

For a casual fan, golf... the other "paint dry" sport...LOL... is good on TV... you see more players, more shots. But I love getting to a tournament in person from time to time. You see those great players up close... closer than most sports will allow you to get... and see how they make a very tough game look way too easy. 

the big issue with baseball today is everyone is trying to overthink everything with analytics.

if Billyball was so #### great, why haven't the A's won yet?

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

the big issue with baseball today is everyone is trying to overthink everything with analytics.

I hear ya... so many stats, so much analysis.

Than you have a guy like Adam Jones of the Orioles, who doesn't always put up flashy stats... but is the heart and soul of that team. They would not have had their run between 2012-16 without him. Of course, even he couldn't help them not suck this year. LOL

OK... back to our regularly-scheduled topic. :laughing:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with both of those.  Not a huge hockey fan, but it is insane in person.

For a casual fan, golf... the other "paint dry" sport...LOL... is good on TV... you see more players, more shots. But I love getting to a tournament in person from time to time. You see those great players up close... closer than most sports will allow you to get... and see how they make a very tough game look way too easy. 

The Westshoremen did the finals for the Lady Keystone Open for several years, played and marched down the 18th fairway to the green and did a concert as part of the awards/trophies ceremony. I guess it dates me, but when we'd get there early, a few of the guys used to like to watch Jan Stephenson on the course, it was fun to see a real professional play golf so well up close.

Edited by BigW

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Educated guess:

The metrics get you to a certain point, guarantee you a serious shot at the playoffs. Winning once you get there.... takes something more than the metrics I think.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. One of my local shows is a machine. Even though the parents in charge change, detailed notes on everything are handed down to the next in line. It's a beast. the stadium isn't that high, it's set in a public park where parking isn't all that...and it gets 15-20 bands a year and is turning a profit in July. The other shining example is in a great stadium, parking is eh...ok because of how the school is laid out...always a jammed show. it's turning profit in July. And for this circuit, the bylaws require a certain $$ amount of tickets to be given to the bands to sell themselves to help cover transportation costs depending on the bands size. I know of others around the circuit that do the same type of business.

no reason drum corps shows, which cost FAR more to run, shouldn't take the same approach.

Of course then I read on Facebook this morning of rehearsal facility issues for corps at DCA Championships...as in the facility sucks even by bad high school band standards

:unhappy: I can vouch the Lycoming College facility was more than acceptable for Cadence in terms of room, shade, restrooms, areas to get the support stuff in place and truck/buses parked. The only thing (minor IMHO) was that they had to line the field, thankfully one of the young men on staff is very good with the spray cans, beautiful job on the markings. I feel awful for anyone who ended up with a substandard location-- been there, not fun, talked about for years afterwards by corps members.

3 hours ago, wolfgang said:

One aspect of growth through streaming or theater broadcasts is quality of the broadcast.

If I as a customer pay a premium price to watch a broadcast event, I expect a television or cinema-caliber audio and visual experience.  Showing a marimba player's facial expression while a neat drill move happens behind is not acceptable. Having Tom Blair is a great help on the visual side of things.

The audio needs to match the quality of the visual, meaning the mix heard in the theater (or television) needs to also be of the highest quality.  

I cannot understand, for the life of me, why Tom Blair is not involved with every, single part and parcel of the video/audio production of drum corps.  Everything short of his team is amateurish, IMO.

Does someone have handy the theater attendance for '18?  

the problem in Eastern PA/NJ/MD is a monopoly on who runs the shows and their pricing model. selling $125 super dooper tickets with parking/meatball sandwiches/etc usually end up with the most expensive seats filled in as the night goes on by people sitting outside that section

Yep, that's exactly what we did.  Then the football team decided to change the stands to sponsored seating - one cushioned seat with a back and drink holder per 2.2 seats stamped into the aluminum bench.  Premium seating, we increased the prices by 130% and all sold out first.  Then the football team doubled those seats, and we increased the prices by another 25% and we sold them all out again.  Had the show continued we were set to increase the prices again.  If we could sell the entire stadium with $75 seats, we were fully willing to, and we'd keep increasing until the demand began to wane.

Some shows are priced to high ( YEA). But when you factor in the way DCI structures the costs to the host, they have to do something. But there's ways to make money before you even sell a ticket. 

Why would a TEP charge less than the market will pay?

I've always thought that the way DCI prices corps is quite effective and well thought out.  Generally, it requires TEP's to pay for performance placement and consistency doing so.  I'm good with that.  One could argue the cost per corps.

It also allows DCI to increase prices annually, and adjust their administrative fee.  I never felt we were overpaying for a corps, any corps.  I would only be interested in knowing if our paying fans would overpay for a corps. 

Out here in corn country, they do and will.

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

I've always thought that the way DCI prices corps is quite effective and well thought out.  Generally, it requires TEP's to pay for performance placement and consistency doing so.  I'm good with that.  One could argue the cost per corps.

It also allows DCI to increase prices annually, and adjust their administrative fee.  I never felt we were overpaying for a corps, any corps.  I would only be interested in knowing if our paying fans would overpay for a corps. 

In a perfect world, everyone would.  LOL

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Depends on price point. 300 bucks and up for a family of 4?

Good tickets for DCA prelins and finals were a total of 90 for myself. I winced, but I'm okay with it more or less, but if I had a family of 4 we're talking closing in on 400 bucks for the weekend, not counting the Alumni Spectacular.

That being said, most of the really choice seats are pretty much gone in the center, except at face ripper level for both contests. I didn't look at how the outer sections are filling when I purchased mid-week.