When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the big issue with baseball today is everyone is trying to overthink everything with analytics.

if Billyball was so #### great, why haven't the A's won yet?

Most every team who has won the World Series since the early 2000's when Billy Beane brought a more analytical approach to constructing a roster has utilized a similar (if not identical) blueprint. That it hasn't worked for the A's yet has more to do with their ownership's reluctance to spend (or compete to spend) for the better players. 

18 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

if Billyball was so #### great, why haven't the A's won yet?

It will come, KC proves that even if it only happens every 30 years. Their small budget team was quite successful for 2 years running. That is what smart drafting can do, after that its greener pastures, a lot greener for the players.

5 hours ago, BigW said:

The Westshoremen did the finals for the Lady Keystone Open for several years, played and marched down the 18th fairway to the green and did a concert as part of the awards/trophies ceremony. I guess it dates me, but when we'd get there early, a few of the guys used to like to watch Jan Stephenson on the course, it was fun to see a real professional play golf so well up close.

I don’t think they watched her for her skills 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

:unhappy: I can vouch the Lycoming College facility was more than acceptable for Cadence in terms of room, shade, restrooms, areas to get the support stuff in place and truck/buses parked. The only thing (minor IMHO) was that they had to line the field, thankfully one of the young men on staff is very good with the spray cans, beautiful job on the markings. I feel awful for anyone who ended up with a substandard location-- been there, not fun, talked about for years afterwards by corps members.

Better than CV got

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I cannot understand, for the life of me, why Tom Blair is not involved with every, single part and parcel of the video/audio production of drum corps.  Everything short of his team is amateurish, IMO.

Does someone have handy the theater attendance for '18?  

I can sum it up easily:

$$$

Yep, that's exactly what we did.  Then the football team decided to change the stands to sponsored seating - one cushioned seat with a back and drink holder per 2.2 seats stamped into the aluminum bench.  Premium seating, we increased the prices by 130% and all sold out first.  Then the football team doubled those seats, and we increased the prices by another 25% and we sold them all out again.  Had the show continued we were set to increase the prices again.  If we could sell the entire stadium with $75 seats, we were fully willing to, and we'd keep increasing until the demand began to wane.

There were no seats like these at the stadiums this organization books. And they weren’t selling out the super seats

Edited by Jeff Ream

Why would a TEP charge less than the market will pay?

I've always thought that the way DCI prices corps is quite effective and well thought out.  Generally, it requires TEP's to pay for performance placement and consistency doing so.  I'm good with that.  One could argue the cost per corps.

It also allows DCI to increase prices annually, and adjust their administrative fee.  I never felt we were overpaying for a corps, any corps.  I would only be interested in knowing if our paying fans would overpay for a corps. 

Out here in corn country, they do and will.

The market is t paying those $200 seats. I’ve said it 5 times now. Go look up the ticket prices for Allentown in June. Maybe 2000 people there 

Screw popularity. It's already cheesy enough. What made it great was the interesting music. Now it's how many different takes on the rite of spring can you have in one season and all  the pop garbage. Only a handful of corps play interesting music.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t think they watched her for her skills 

Heh, you have a point! She's very attractive, but she had world class golf chops, too! I remember Doc Kirkwood was a big fan of her. We just followed him on his suggestion the first time.