When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks Fran, half tongue in check I call them the town band that happens to be a drum corps. Half kidding as the mind set and lot of the gigs would match a town band.

lol when you have a drum corps as part of the Gettysburg Brass Band Festival....

That's actually a pretty good description of them!!!   And honestly, performance-wise they are definitely a notch or two above several town bands.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I really don't know how DCA arrived at their attendance figures calculations to state on Finals Night it was their largest attendance in 7 years. We can only say with certainty at the moment that DCA calculates the numbers and announces those attendance figures compared with other seasons within hours, and that DCI calculates and announces their attendance figures compared to other seasons in about 4- 5 weeks.

first off, don't expect DCA to ever release hard numbers. Even the ballyhooed crowd size from 96 was never formally released, just mentioned on here by Peashey and others.

44 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You will have to show me where this problem is occurring.  In this day and age, who is getting the attention of the general public only to waste it on explaining the distinction between drum corps and marching band?  Show them video clips, followed by a link to the tour schedule and ticket ordering.

If anyone asks me what drum corps is, my general public explanation is around four words, with the option of expanding to two sentences if I see they are intensely curious.  If they are not patient enough to listen to the 4-word answer to their own question, they probably will not enjoy a 12-minute drum corps show, much less 6 of them in one sitting.

you're rare. Too many in the acticity still to this day go to great lengths to explain why it's not band, and it goes over Joe Publics head.

39 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And one more thing...

Honestly, this is a snobby activity.  It has contests with official results adjudicated subjectively by a small pool of judges.  It promotes itself as educational.  Even the shows often try to educate the audience.  If people are put off by that attitude, we will need to change much more than just how/if we explain the distinction between corps and band.

to an outsider, when we get our hackles up over being called band...we come off as snobby.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

to an outsider, when we get our hackles up over being called band...we come off as snobby.

We sure do.

In the eyes of the public... we've always been band.

Even when I got started, Stone Age, early 1970s... I lost count of how many times people at parades, wherever,  would ask "where is your band from???"

We'd tell them to #### off. :w00t:

J/K about that part, of course. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

But doesn't DCI release the actual hard numbers?   DCA doesn't... not in recent years that I know of, at least.

Forgive me for being a bit skeptical... but hard numbers work better for me.

They both probably fudge the numbers a bit, imo.. The College football attendance numbers the schools post are mostly all make believe numbers from them too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

They both probably fudge the numbers a bit, imo.. The College football attendance numbers the schools post are mostly all make believe numbers from them too, imo.

Saw an article the other day about a related topic... basically about how the "announced attendance" and the actual number of tickets scanned at the gate for college games are two different things.

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Saw an article the other day about a related topic... basically about how the "announced attendance" and the actual number of tickets scanned at the gate for college games are two different things.

Yup.

Yes, attendance figures are a total mystery. So many variables. By the way, I read a Wall Street Journal article one day last week that dealt with declining attendance at live events due to more people deciding there is much less hassle and expense to just stay home in front of our large screen tv. That's what I do, actually. No more trips to Tuscaloosa for me!

If we are throwing around estimates about Williamsport, based on certain personal research, I saw about 2800 seats occupied at Finals during the last half of the event. Again, I did not attend, just watched on Box 5.

I believe 128, 000 people have said they were there in attendance at DCI Finals in 2008 when Phantom Regiment upset the Blue Devils on Finals Night.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 3