When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since this thread started with a comparison to baseball, I thought we could extend the conversation with a nod to yet another essay about how to rescue a game that may not need it:

Go Deep! A Simple Plan to Rescue Major League Baseball

And what is the proposed fix? Make the fields bigger! Make it harder for players to hit home runs, and harder for fielders to defend.

Following a drum corps season in which there was much discussion about the winning ensemble's field coverage, this seems like a particularly apt twist!

Such a very large part of my day centers around "Sounds crazy, might work" that I'm drawn to ideas like this.

Come on, we STILL only program and play to one side of the stadium?  Are you (rhetorically) kidding me?

"Oh!  You mean because we aren't attracting a growing viewership to fill  ANY stadium, let alone a really big, professional one?"

And...

Make the field bigger!  Sounds crazy...

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Then the execution music judges who have been put up in the stands, would have a harder time doing their job fairly.

"Cheerios, please.  Pee on the side this morning, thank you."

And maybe they'd INCREASE the number of battery judges on the field!  Yea!

Imagine, a music and execution judge on all four sides of the field.  Fans can choose to sit anywhere but the judges are there.  Now program.

Smaller stadium? Lower cost?

Turn the Wizards of Programming loose on this and I'm sure they'd figure it out, even if it does sound crazy.

Drum Corps in the round could lead to interesting design choices for sure.  Frankly with as packed as WGI gets in Dayton, I'm surprised they haven't gone "in the round" yet.  

drum corps will have fully matured when at least 5 top 12 corps appear at every show...logistically, that may be problematic, but as a fan , I wouldn't mind the rising ticket prices and the potential for rainouts, if i knew that the quality justified my time and money

17 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

drum corps will have fully matured when at least 5 top 12 corps appear at every show...logistically, that may be problematic, but as a fan , I wouldn't mind the rising ticket prices and the potential for rainouts, if i knew that the quality justified my time and money

sounds like an idea from the G-7 program book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I have followed drum corps since 1975 when I was finishing the 6th grade. Outside of shows I saw while marching in a Boston area CYO band, I attended local circuit shows  with small corps with only a few members, regional circuit shows (DCE), national contests such as World Open and CYO Nationals. I have attended many shows that come to the Boston area which since 2010 have featured just about every WC corps except Blue Stars (I’ve hounded them about this for years) and Pioneer. I also get to Allentown and Indy when possible. In 43 years of following, I’ve never been to a show where the quality has not justified my time and money.

Remember, first time attendees don’t always see the corps that win as “the best.” How many times have people attended shows in the past where Blue Devils performed a less than audience friendly show and a non finalist uses a popular tune that wows the audience. We may all know why Blue Devils won, the difference in difficulty, etc., but we’re watching with trained eyes and ears. People new to the activity are not always wowed by difficulty. Entertainment is often what grabs people.

I'm sorry if i made it seem like G7, i merely meant that however large the show, at it's zenith, DCI would have at least 5 top 12 at any show ( shows would include other WC corps as well as OC corps)..would never intentionally diss non top 12 corps, plus topic suggests opinion on when DCI will have even greater popularity

• Like 2

1 minute ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm sorry if i made it seem like G7, i merely meant that however large the show, at it's zenith, DCI would have at least 5 top 12 at any show ( shows would include other WC corps as well as OC corps)..would never intentionally diss non top 12 corps, plus topic suggests opinion on when DCI will have even greater popularity

thanks for your clarification.

However, it still leaves a situation where there would have to be fewer shows on the calendar. BD only does 20 appearences, SCV may be matching that, and geography comes into play. Top 12 are not geographically distributed at all. Your proposal is ne'er impossible I say unless you reduce DCI to Regionals and Championships. Try yourself to come up with a national schedule following your model. You will be flummoxed.