N.E. Brigand

When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, BigW said:

The Westshoremen did the finals for the Lady Keystone Open for several years, played and marched down the 18th fairway to the green and did a concert as part of the awards/trophies ceremony. I guess it dates me, but when we'd get there early, a few of the guys used to like to watch Jan Stephenson on the course, it was fun to see a real professional play golf so well up close.

Steel City did that gig a time or two after you all did, I think.  One of those fun out of norm things to do, and IIRC was somewhat well received by the folks around the 18. 

 

Bonus when finished and the tournament staff pointed us in the direction of the closest beer tent and "opened the bar" so to speak...or may be it was the drummers who said 'hey, look what we found'.  so hard to remember all the little details!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigW said:

Heh, you have a point! She's very attractive, but she had world class golf chops, too! I remember Doc Kirkwood was a big fan of her. We just followed him on his suggestion the first time.

Well she did have a calender with her all sexied up. Someone at work had one in the cubicle so wasn't obscene just a way to make some money. LPGA was promoting the Hades out of her. And the locals got to hear all about Nanci Lopez because she married local sportscaster Tim Melton.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Steel City did that gig a time or two after you all did, I think.  One of those fun out of norm things to do, and IIRC was somewhat well received by the folks around the 18. 

 

Bonus when finished and the tournament staff pointed us in the direction of the closest beer tent and "opened the bar" so to speak...or may be it was the drummers who said 'hey, look what we found'.  so hard to remember all the little details!

We picked it back up in 89. Beer tent... oh that poor beer tent... lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 11:51 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

It's well known that while recent Finals audiences are larger than in the early 2010s, they were larger still in some past years.

 

 Speaking of which, DCA announced tonite at the DCA Championships that DCA had " their largest attendance in 7 years. "

 I may have missed DCI announcements on their Championships attendance ( Quarters, Semi's, Finals ) for this season. Maybe it was announced, but missed it. Hard to keep up with the news with so much going on the last 3-4 weeks. From eyeballing Quarters/ Semi's attendance, it looked looked like it might've been a bit down in attendance for these Prelims... although Finals Night attendance looked decent on Flo.

 Has DCI announced their Championships week attendance figures ? World Class and Open Class ?  if so, what is it ?.. and how does it compare to the last few years ?

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 6:05 AM, BigW said:

I'm just shaking my head on that, Jeff. After getting to meet and know some of them, it makes me feel worse.

hey the show site warmup area had snakes...not the human kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BRASSO said:

 Speaking of which, DCA announced tonite at the DCA Championships that DCA had " their largest attendance in 7 years. "

 I may have missed DCI announcements on their Championships attendance ( Quarters, Semi's, Finals ) for this season. Maybe it was announced, but missed it. Hard to keep up with the news with so much going on the last 3-4 weeks. From eyeballing Quarters/ Semi's attendance, it looked looked like it might've been a bit down in attendance for these Prelims... although Finals Night attendance looked decent on Flo.

 Has DCI announced their Championships week attendance figures ? World Class and Open Class ?  if so, what is it ?.. and how does it compare to the last few years ?

DCi usually releases in September, And as DCA has never truly announced attendance figures except for 96 ( when the best seats were the farthest away from the field) who knows what the attendance was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 7:58 AM, wolfgang said:

"Expanding" World Championship attendance sounds good but in reality is silly insofar as Lucas Oil Stadium is concerned. For several years, people have been sitting with end zone views.

Even in the best possible listening environment in any stadium, an end zone seat is not good if you like the music.

If the mythical 1981 Montreal crowd did appear next year, where would they all sit? Now, if expanding means more corps (looking at Battalion and Columbians), then yes, that is great.

Mythical Montreal crowd ? I was there... Largest crowd ever without question

Still have my program

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 2:46 AM, flammaster said:

Screw popularity. It's already cheesy enough. What made it great was the interesting music. Now it's how many different takes on the rite of spring can you have in one season and all  the pop garbage. Only a handful of corps play interesting music.

According to DCX, eleven different corps played "Children of Sanchez" in 1979 alone.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

According to DCX, eleven different corps played "Children of Sanchez" in 1979 alone.

And the rest were playing theme from Rocky....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.