When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

Does Will Pitts count or not?

twice... paid and unpaid numbers.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I believe 128, 000 people have said they were there in attendance at DCI Finals in 2008 when Phantom Regiment upset the Blue Devils on Finals Night.

Nope I stayed home 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I stayed home 

I swear.. I had nuthin' to do with the killin' of that Phantom Regiment DM in '08. My alibi is I wuz home when it all went down too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

I swear.. I had nuthin' to do with the killin' of that Phantom Regiment DM in '08. My alibi is I wuz home when it all went down too.

Of course you didn't.  You can't run that fast, jump over guard equipment,  while carrying a spear at the same.  The defense rests your Honor.

I’ve got proof. My wife attended working as a vendor in the marketplace and I still have my ticket for the Phillies wall of fame ceremony 

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2018 at 6:37 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Apparently there's an op-ed piece in tomorrow's Wall Street Journal* that proposes a new way to make baseball more popular via some rule change that would "make games more competitive" and "shave nearly a half hour off game time". Already a number of critics are faulting the plan. I don't have a WSJ subscription, so I can't read the column or comment on its merits, but I was struck by one cultural commentator's reaction because it raises questions that might also (someday?) apply to drum corps:

"All such pieces assume it's a problem to be solved if the audience for baseball is declining. But what if baseball is just an example of a mature-but-still-strong business?

Why is it important for baseball to be more popular? It's not clear that's necessary for the public. If people who aren't interested in baseball enjoy other things, they're fine. They don't necessarily need an improved baseball.

Owners and players might be better off if the fan base is expanded -- but not if that comes at the cost of alienating existing superfans, and maybe not even if it means shorter games, and therefore less ad time to sell within the games."

So that got me wondering: how many corps, how many participants, how many shows, how many fans are enough? What's the right size for drum corps? And what's the right way to balance the desires of serious fans with the desires of a broader public?

*for reference, link to WSJ essay: A Radical Pitch to Save Baseball

Since this thread started with a comparison to baseball, I thought we could extend the conversation with a nod to yet another essay about how to rescue a game that may not need it:

Go Deep! A Simple Plan to Rescue Major League Baseball

And what is the proposed fix? Make the fields bigger! Make it harder for players to hit home runs, and harder for fielders to defend.

Following a drum corps season in which there was much discussion about the winning ensemble's field coverage, this seems like a particularly apt twist!