When will drum corps be popular enough? How would we know?

I know there are baseball games where nearly half the seats are empty, and I've heard and read that the length of the game and the speed are major factors. The elephant in the room is ticket prices. Most people cannot bring a family of four to a baseball game. You have the tickets, cost of food, in many cases parking.

I'm not sure that we can make drum corps more "popular" than it already is, and if the trend of the past few years of increased ticket sales in Atlanta, San Antonio, and Indy (due to weather, Allentown may have had fewer people in attendance), more people attended the movie theater events, and Flo Marching had better numbers, things are looking good. This may already happen at some shows, but I would suggest student priced tickets. Tickets prices could be out of reach for some kids, and there is always the chance of getting a fan hooked for life.

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I know there are baseball games where nearly half the seats are empty, and I've heard and read that the length of the game and the speed are major factors. The elephant in the room is ticket prices. Most people cannot bring a family of four to a baseball game. You have the tickets, cost of food, in many cases parking.

I'm not sure that we can make drum corps more "popular" than it already is, and if the trend of the past few years of increased ticket sales in Atlanta, San Antonio, and Indy (due to weather, Allentown may have had fewer people in attendance), more people attended the movie theater events, and Flo Marching had better numbers, things are looking good. This may already happen at some shows, but I would suggest student priced tickets. Tickets prices could be out of reach for some kids, and there is always the chance of getting a fan hooked for life.

Haven’t checked for a while but minor league baseball just exploded in popularity (and value) about 25 or so years ago. Part was affordable price and having a “home team”. Can’t think of how to apply that growth to corps though sigh

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Haven’t checked for a while but minor league baseball just exploded in popularity (and value) about 25 or so years ago. Part was affordable price and having a “home team”. Can’t think of how to apply that growth to corps though sigh

Minor league exploded because of the value provided.  The total cost of a family outing to a MLB game starts well into the 3-figures.  Student priced tickets, as @Tim K suggested, is a good idea, but I'd be concerned about it creating a buy/scalp business with higher markups than regular tickets.  Doesn't DCI offer group discounts (say, for band directors) bringing 20 or more?  There often seem to be such groups at many shows.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Minor league exploded because of the value provided.  The total cost of a family outing to a MLB game starts well into the 3-figures.  Student priced tickets, as @Tim K suggested, is a good idea, but I'd be concerned about it creating a buy/scalp business with higher markups than regular tickets.  Doesn't DCI offer group discounts (say, for band directors) bringing 20 or more?  There often seem to be such groups at many shows.  

Group rates bring in the bus loads, no question,  but the busses are often coordinated through schools and it also assumes that there is someone to coordinate. If you’re a kid and you grab a car load of buddies and head to the show (on occasion I filled our family bombers station wagon, an Olds Cutlass Supreme and headed to shows), you’re paying the adult price. You may only be able to offer student price tickets the day of the show, which for some TOC shows might not be an option since some sell out quickly, but if the seat will be otherwise empty, at least you’re making something. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That answer could be staring us right in the face: OPEN CLASS!

The variety of the shows is amazing. There's a natural energy. Food trucks can be a draw and provide refreshment. Add a few DrumLIne Battles as they used to do at an OC show in Manchester, NH and invite local high schools to participate. Add a few of the fun antics you sometimes see at DCA shows.  Since so many kids who march OC end up in WC corps, it's Major League "B." 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You may only be able to offer student price tickets the day of the show, which for some TOC shows might not be an option since some sell out quickly, but if the seat will be otherwise empty, at least you’re making something. 

Would be great!  

I agree with a lot of what Jeff said earlier.

If "popular" means "mainstream"... drum corps is never going to be popular.

Let's face it... DCI is a niche activity. DCA/all-age is a niche within a niche, and alumni corps is a niche within a niche within a niche. LOL

Years ago, I described drum corps to a non-drum corps friend as "the best activity no one's heard of."  Perhaps that still might hold true.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tim K said:

That answer could be staring us right in the face: OPEN CLASS!

The variety of the shows is amazing. There's a natural energy. Food trucks can be a draw and provide refreshment. Add a few DrumLIne Battles as they used to do at an OC show in Manchester, NH and invite local high schools to participate. Add a few of the fun antics you sometimes see at DCA shows.  Since so many kids who march OC end up in WC corps, it's Major League "B." 

Lol as watching smaller corps in Class A DCA at Prelims (2 days to go) is a highlight for me. But thought Open class corps could be full size what cuts down on their expenses besides less touting? Actually I’d go down to Sound Sport or Minis for that lower cost local feel. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, ouooga said:

And now...drum roll...my point!

That strategy has kept them profitable! Marvel Comics was at or near bankruptcy (I think, can someone fact check that?) at one point, and has since become one of the most profitable companies on the globe.

For niche, if you change the medium, tweak the model, keep the important elements and put it all in a box that everyone can get behind, there's a good chance you'll get a few more people to spend money on your entertainment genre.

http://screencrush.com/marvel-bankruptcy-billions/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I can assure you that almost no one in Nashville gave a rats ### about hockey 20 years ago. Now there is no doubt that the Predators are more popular than the Titans.

And MLS will have a franchise there in 2020.