DCA 2018 -- Mini Corps Competition (Fri. Aug. 31)

(Edited.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Time ran out.

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If same rules as when I did my once and done. For I&E had to be present member of a DCA competing or alumni type corps. Or be a past member of a DCA corps but think the “DCA corps” was stretched to any past senior corps.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Jim... as long as you are, or have been, affiliated with a senior/all-age corps, at any point. Perhaps including up to the point when you enter the I&E competition.  LOL.

My personal opinion here... I wish more corps participated in the I&E stuff.  I understand, to a point, why they don't  (extra rehearsal time, travel time, etc.)... but it's a fun event, and a chance for the fans to get up close and personal with the members of all the corps.  Good PR for the corps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, Jim... as long as you are, or have been, affiliated with a senior/all-age corps, at any point. Perhaps including up to the point when you enter the I&E competition.  LOL.

My personal opinion here... I wish more corps participated in the I&E stuff.  I understand, to a point, why they don't  (extra rehearsal time, travel time, etc.)... but it's a fun event, and a chance for the fans to get up close and personal with the members of all the corps.  Good PR for the corps.

neither Cadets nor C2 appear in individuals and ensembles either at DCI or DCA as their members get individual ops in their home schools and regions in the off season.

Many corps, not just Cadets, see I&E as counter-active to the purpose of "corps" in which the letter "I" doesn't appear. DCA has its own philosophy, one aspect that that and Mini-Corps/Alumni corps, etc. is a way for dying or dead units to still show some spark of life. Good arguments can be made both ways I guess but I'm not convinced I&E is that much different from Buglers' Hall of Fame concerts, PASIC contests, State ratings, district ratings, regionals, etc. DCI has even attempted doing it not at championships (e.g., San Antonio) but the process is still in flux. Like the corps themselves, participants want the opportunity later in the summer to give more prep time.

e

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

neither Cadets nor C2 appear in individuals and ensembles either at DCI or DCA as their members get individual ops in their home schools and regions in the off season.

Many corps, not just Cadets, see I&E as counter-active to the purpose of "corps" in which the letter "I" doesn't appear. DCA has its own philosophy, one aspect that that and Mini-Corps/Alumni corps, etc. is a way for dying or dead units to still show some spark of life. Good arguments can be made both ways I guess but I'm not convinced I&E is that much different from Buglers' Hall of Fame concerts, PASIC contests, State ratings, district ratings, regionals, etc. DCI has even attempted doing it not at championships (e.g., San Antonio) but the process is still in flux. Like the corps themselves, participants want the opportunity later in the summer to give more prep time.

Believe me, I understand your points... all good ones.

But sometimes, you have to take one for the team, so to speak, in terms of helping promote the circuit, generate goodwill with the fans, and so forth. DCA and its corps need all the help they can get in that department.

46 minutes ago, xandandl said:

e

Good points but "dying or dead units" referring to minis or alumni types?

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Good points but "dying or dead units" referring to minis or alumni types?

well alumni aren't getting any younger, are they?

Cabs are even rumored to have an alumni corps of their alumni corps. :-p

Fran Haring's last sentence in the above response almost makes it sound like DCA is in hospice.

Edited by xandandl

20 minutes ago, xandandl said:

well alumni aren't getting any younger, are they?

Cabs are even rumored to have an alumni corps of their alumni corps. :-p

Fran Haring's last sentence in the above response almost makes it sound like DCA is in hospice.

I see your point better now and overall can't argue. Been a while since I have been able to see these corps close up and (in terms of long term survival) some are their own worst enemies. Especially the ones trying to relive the glory days that occurred even before my time and I'm over 60. That's why tomorrow's show is interesting to me to see who wants to relive and who wants to continue on by getting non alumni and younger people.

At least it's outside so the "if loud is good thern louder is better" groups won't make me cringe... or be my bathroom break corps

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

LOL... that's a pretty good stretch on your part, I must admit!!!

Not at all saying DCA is dying. What I am saying is that drum corps... be they DCA, DCI, alumni, whatever... should not be "above the fray" when it comes to opportunities to engage the fan base, and perhaps grow that base.

I think I&E shows are one way to do that... they put a "human face" on the otherwise nameless, faceless performers.  It's not like drum corps is this larger-than-life, world-famous entity that can afford to pass on a chance for its fans to get to knows the corps, and members, better.

Heck, even Tiger Woods...arguably the most well-known athlete in the world, certainly in the USA, and famous for his aloof behavior when it came to interacting with fans, is now starting to do just the opposite from years past... he's  engaging the fans, signing more autographs, etc.

I figure... if it's good enough for him...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL... that's a pretty good stretch on your part, I must admit!!!

Not at all saying DCA is dying. What I am saying is that drum corps... be they DCA, DCI, alumni, whatever... should not be "above the fray" when it comes to opportunities to engage the fan base, and perhaps grow that base.

I think I&E shows are one way to do that... they put a "human face" on the otherwise nameless, faceless performers.  It's not like drum corps is this larger-than-life, world-famous entity that can afford to pass on a chance for its fans to get to knows the corps, and members, better.

Heck, even Tiger Woods...arguably the most well-known athlete in the world, certainly in the USA, and famous for his aloof behavior when it came to interacting with fans, is now starting to do just the opposite from years past... he's  engaging the fans, signing more autographs, etc.

I figure... if it's good enough for him...

It's not just in drum corps where it's a challenge to get the performers and other artists to grasp this. We struggle with this in theater: yes, it really is important that you appear on the local morning radio show--the tickets aren't going to sell themselves.

• Like 1

My thanks to N.E. Brigand for filling me in on the competitors prior to my group (Brig Juice). The quality of the performance space was much appreciated! Crowd was enthusiastic, but I would like to have feen a few more butts in the seats. Nice to know that we also had an online audience.