2018 Drum Corps Associates Preliminary Competition - Williamsport, Pennsylvania

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This is video of a high school band from Ohio that, as you can see, had just 25 members when they performed two years ago. Coincidentally, this is the alma mater of a regular DCP contributor (although not usually on the DCA side), though I am told the band was larger many years ago when he was a student there.

[...]

I'm struggling to understand how there could be a drum corps--a drum corps, not just a marching band!--who can't achieve this rather basic level of entertainment.

Am I wrong?

Did you ever post something just before going to bed, then wake up in the middle of the night with regrets and decide to delete it, but the wireless was out so you couldn't?

Maybe that means the post was meant to stay up, so I won't delete it now, but I will note that I attempted to buy a souvenir from both corps in questions (but one of them had closed down its booth by the time I stopped by). I hope that covers my karmic tush.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:40 AM, Florida Sun said:

Iguess you missed all of Suns show? They went from now taking the field ,to there closer,

Unfortunately, it took me most of Sun's show to get back online. Fortunately, I did not have that problem at Finals so I was able to cover their entire show Sunday night.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, Jeff Ream said:

You have to be patient with a Kevin. This isn’t a pro or semi pro stadium in terms of access. I gave up trying to post because I couldn’t get enough reception and I’m just using my phone.

one person near me said .” This set up makes Allentown look like MetLife”. I’m hoping some logistical lessons learned are easily implemented for today as I got inundated with texts and other messaging tools with complaints from people in a variety of positions (staffs, fans, viewers at home). I’m told the original agreed upon layout of things got changed.

that said the corps themselves were great. My first live prelims since Annapolis and the corps have continued to step it up.

but if my $10 parking pass gets me routed to some field again today, I won’t complain to DCA. I’ll go to the visitors center folks. They won’t want to hear their Labor Day cash cow had issues. The LLcan handle it cause they are set up to handle it. 

I just wrote a giant description of the issues I dealt with. Unfortunately, one of those issues was using a particular word in my posts which triggers a security alert. I just nearly blocked myself from DCP AGAIN.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Did you ever post something just before going to bed, then wake up in the middle of the night with regrets and decide to delete it, but the wireless was out so you couldn't?

Maybe that means the post was meant to stay up, so I won't delete it now, but I will note that I attempted to buy a souvenir from both corps in questions (but one of them had closed down its booth by the time I stopped by). I hope that covers my karmic tush.

As someone involved in one of the two corps you're thinking of, it's not an unfair criticism, even if it stings a little.  It was an uphill journey to get our show on the field at Williamsport at all, and it involved a fair number of compromises, cuts and late-season recruitment to get it to a point we felt would be acceptable to present to the public.  There's also a lot of personal responsibility in a 15-person horn line that's playing an arrangement that puts one person on most of the parts; it makes mistakes or people laying out that much more obvious.  I know that it doesn't retroactively make the show more entertaining, but I hope it at least explains some of the things you thought were missing or unacceptable. It is definitely something we are already trying to address for 2019.

Edited by jimpjorps
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, Jeff Ream said:

but if my $10 parking pass gets me routed to some field again today, I won’t complain to DCA. I’ll go to the visitors center folks. They won’t want to hear their Labor Day cash cow had issues. The LLcan handle it cause they are set up to handle it. 

They tried to do that to Jim and he just drove on through.  There were plenty of parking spots in the premium area and we got there late. 

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That was nice to hear, but it was also weird because the Cabs get two show-starting announcements, since the stadium announcer still did his (on both days).

Not my job to correct that.  :innocent:  LOL!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

I just wrote a giant description of the issues I dealt with. Unfortunately, one of those issues was using a particular word in my posts which triggers a security alert. I just nearly blocked myself from DCP AGAIN.

ok the day you get blocked and i dont with the numbers of times i type #### is amazing

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

ok the day you get blocked and i dont with the numbers of times i type #### is amazing

Oh, this wasn't even forum blocked. This was ENTIRE DCP SITE blocked.

Just now, kevingamin said:

Oh, this wasn't even forum blocked. This was ENTIRE DCP SITE blocked.

awww you said the H word didnt you LOL

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

awww you said the H word didnt you LOL

Worse - I said the S word. I can't even post it because it will trigger the security flag.