2018 Drum Corps Associates Preliminary Competition - Williamsport, Pennsylvania

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Being there without being there. What a concept. :tongue:

Can you do that for every corps?

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Staffs were told they are not to go into the stands.  Just saw them do just that. 

Top 3 rows was staff from everyone 

2 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Tenor section just tried to single handedly win the drum trophy. Remember Blue Devils' tenor feature? Same idea, and just as fun.

In a comment on a short Youtube video of that section, someone said the voice was live. Can anyone confirm?

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Top 3 rows was staff from everyone 

Jim said that at that manager’s meeting Friday, they were told that the only staff that could go into the stands was the sound person. And they had to enter from the top of the stadium.  They had crime scene tape over the field to stands entrances.  CT got a warning for standing from the designated staff area. You are supposed to stay seated there.  

This is video of a high school band from Ohio that, as you can see, had just 25 members when they performed two years ago. Coincidentally, this is the alma mater of a regular DCP contributor (although not usually on the DCA side), though I am told the band was larger many years ago when he was a student there.

I make no great claims for this band! Everything about them is limited by their small size.

Which is smaller than any DCA corps, even the two who went on first today that I am now thinking of.

But they put on a fully-staged show nearly ten minutes long.

And neither the battery nor a chunk of the horn section is parked for the entire performance.

And the melody (and simple harmonies) are consistently clear, even when an individual or two struggles a little.

And in their small way, they keep the audience engaged throughout. To my eyes and ears, there are no cringe-worthy moments.

I'm struggling to understand how there could be a drum corps--a drum corps, not just a marching band!--who can't achieve this rather basic level of entertainment.

Am I wrong?

An outgrowth of my love of drum corps has been a greater interest in competing marching bands more generally. Being what I am, I've approached this developing interest rather systematically, but there are far too many bands nationally to keep up with, and plenty of people already keep track of BOA competitions, so I decided to focus on just the 250 or so competing bands here in my home state of Ohio.

To that end, starting in 2014, I've attended all four days of the Ohio Music Education "state finals" each year so that I could see the 120+ bands who had qualified for that event. And on the final day of 2014, down in Dayton's Welcome Stadium, a fellow sitting near me noticed me taking notes and asked for my thoughts. He was the drill instructor at a small school in southwest Ohio whose band had never yet qualified for finals, and he was there to get a better sense of what other bands were doing and what the judges liked. We had a pleasant chat. (And his band qualified the next year.)

Today about halfway through DCA Prelims, the person who'd been sitting directly in front of me almost since the day started turned around and said to me: "You look familiar." It was the same fellow! (I'm terrible with faces, but once he explained how we knew each other, I remembered his name.) His son is in Cincinnati Tradition. What a small world. We had another pleasant chat. And when he and his family left for the day after the second block, I told him that I thought only Bushwackers to that point had outscored CT. I figured CT was about one point ahead of Hurcs. A good guess!

Similarly, at the end of the first block, I told Big W that I figured CT was at least five points ahead of Chops. I underestimated! (Although I guessed Chops' score correctly.)

Which is my roundabout way of noting that I got to meet Big W today!

(He is a font of drum corps history, by the way. Far more than I could keep up with. Also he's very nice.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Can you do that for every corps?

If they ask and if it fits their show, sure!!!  LOL

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Interesting.  Sold our tickets twice. ra6of8.jpg

I know how that usually happens in the theater: someone buys a ticket, then exchanges it over the phone for a ticket to another performance, and *swears* that they're going to destroy the original tickets. Then they forget about it for many months, and when show time comes, they discover their original ticket, to a seat that we've since sold to someone else.

How it happened to you I could not begin to guess!

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

If they ask and if it fits their show, sure!!!  LOL

Are you up already?!

3 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Just curious but with Gino at BAC is he back consulting with Buccs?

Yes, he is. He's been with them for the home stretch.