2018 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition - Williamsport, Pennsylvania

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Always classy to bash people who complain online before awards. Can you imagine Acheson doing that?

Yeah that was weird. And not having been online much the past couple days, I wasn't even sure what the complaints were about; surely I wasn't the only one confused. I imagine Buell telling the audience that there had been complaints encouraged some of them to go find them!

1. While I had the pleasure of being briefly introduced to Kevin at a diner in Rochester two years ago, this morning at the Alumni Spectacular was the first time I ever found him in the stands, despite our having been in attendance simultaneously at probably a dozen or more shows by now. Nice to see the master at work in his studio!

2. About two-thirds of the way through tonight's show, I heard a few remarks from the person sitting almost right behind me that prompted me to turn and ask, "By any chance, is your name Jeff Ream?" Chances were good!

3. Before the retreat, I happened to run into Big W again. He told me that he thought Govenaires had been overtaken by Carolina Gold. I told him that I thought his assessment from Prelims--that Bushwackers might very well pass Caballeros--had come true. What I didn't tell him is that I also thought Caballeros were stronger than White Sabers, and that was puzzling me mightily. The obvious solution, that Bushwackers would jump not one spot but two, didn't occur to me! (And notice how close they got to Fusion!)

4. I also told Big W that my favorite performance of the evening came from Cadets2, so their move up to second was gratifying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah that was weird. And not having been online much the past couple days, I wasn't even sure what the complaints were about; surely I wasn't the only one confused. I imagine Buell telling the audience that there had been complaints encouraged some of them to go find them!

He started by mentioning there were some bumps in the road and they’d get better. Good move, right thing. Then he went saying gives us a break, it’s the first year and the internet trolls need to chill out. Probably nicer than what was said when corps directors were read the riot act the other day, but just bad form.

and yeah I did complain a little bit ( when I could get reception which wasn’t dca’s fault). Parking was a cluster for prelims but better for finals. Better set up for souvies and outside food vendors for finals. Kudos. I heard numerous complaints all weekend about the warmup area but didn’t go out there, so no clue.

my number one concern: no safety rails in the aisle. With no access from field level, you had to go up and down the stairs no matter where you sat, and the stairs weren’t wide. I saw numerous older folks using the buddy system to help each other and I helped a few Saturday. Saw one older lady trying to navigate it with a walker.

i admit I’m a logistics nerd. As I got more involved with my local circuit I get very vocal about logistics and literally took over one portion of indoor championships logistics by force of will. And if concerns arose, I asked for specifics and tweaked it for either the next day or next year. I never got on a microphone and told people to chill out.

things did get better today and I was prepped to give credit. But that rant left a very bad taste in my mouth. It was as tone deaf as Roman Blenski showing up to prelims 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1. While I had the pleasure of being briefly introduced to Kevin at a diner in Rochester two years ago, this morning at the Alumni Spectacular was the first time I ever found him in the stands, despite our having been in attendance simultaneously at probably a dozen or more shows by now. Nice to see the master at work in his studio!

2. About two-thirds of the way through tonight's show, I heard a few remarks from the person sitting almost right behind me that prompted me to turn and ask, "By any chance, is your name Jeff Ream?" Chances were good!

3. Before the retreat, I happened to run into Big W again. He told me that he thought Govenaires had been overtaken by Carolina Gold. I told him that I thought his assessment from Prelims--that Bushwackers might very well pass Caballeros--had come true. What I didn't tell him is that I also thought Caballeros were stronger than White Sabers, and that was puzzling me mightily. The obvious solution, that Bushwackers would jump not one spot but two, didn't occur to me! (And notice how close they got to Fusion!)

4. I also told Big W that my favorite performance of the evening came from Cadets2, so their move up to second was gratifying.

It was good to meet you! We had a great group around us and I got to experience Crown Love ( shirts too big for me but the gesture was awesome) a Boston board member, cool Fusion parents, a proud Bucs alum and many many friendly faces. 

I thought Bush should have been higher yesterday. They took me back to that 83-93 era when even competing against them I loved them. It had that vibe.

C2/CV battle was great. Fusions guard killed it. Loved all of class A and really dug the Hurcs and CT. And the Bugs were the Bugs. Everything between the lines kept me wanting to come back again next year. I guess I just have to be more positive 🤐

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Well, that does it for the 2018 North America drum corps season. Time for me to pack it up and pack it in. I'll be doing social media coverage for WGI in the off season and will post my 2019 DCP/DCW coverage once we have a schedule. I'll see you all next year!

Ahhhh... but wait!! That's not all folks!!

The European circuits are now on our final swing with a set of shows this weekend. DCUK, DCN (Netherlands) finals on the 22nd of September followed by the Drum Corps Europe Championships in Kerkrade, NL on the 29th of September. DCE will be webcat for €15 (about $15). Some really good stuff going on with the European circuits... You've got Jubal and Company who have both recently visited DCI and of course my corps, the Kidsgrove Scouts who are regulars at DCA to watch (and btw.. if you haven't seen it yet... our show is really rather good!)...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

He started by mentioning there were some bumps in the road and they’d get better. Good move, right thing. Then he went saying gives us a break, it’s the first year and the internet trolls need to chill out. Probably nicer than what was said when corps directors were read the riot act the other day, but just bad form.

and yeah I did complain a little bit ( when I could get reception which wasn’t dca’s fault). Parking was a cluster for prelims but better for finals. Better set up for souvies and outside food vendors for finals. Kudos. I heard numerous complaints all weekend about the warmup area but didn’t go out there, so no clue.

my number one concern: no safety rails in the aisle. With no access from field level, you had to go up and down the stairs no matter where you sat, and the stairs weren’t wide. I saw numerous older folks using the buddy system to help each other and I helped a few Saturday. Saw one older lady trying to navigate it with a walker.

i admit I’m a logistics nerd. As I got more involved with my local circuit I get very vocal about logistics and literally took over one portion of indoor championships logistics by force of will. And if concerns arose, I asked for specifics and tweaked it for either the next day or next year. I never got on a microyand told people to chill out.

things did better today and I was prepped to give credit. But that rant left a very bad taste in my mouth. It was as gone deaf as Roman Blenski showing up to prelims 

Thanks for explaining the complaints. Volume on Web feed was low when anyone talking with the PA system was occurring.  

As for no safety rail what the ####!!!! Newer stadium and this ####! But some here know my bias on that. 

And if people don't complain sometimes no one knows there is a problem.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello to either NE or Kevin at the alumni show.  I was kinda camped out on the right-side 40-yard line, since that's where Cabs Alumni's rifle line is for most of their show and I wanted to get pictures of them. Since someone I'm rather close to is in that rifle line. :inlove:

Had fun, caught up with a few old Sunriser friends, among others.  Always a good time with those guys!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

Was there just for the alumni show... but I agree about the handrails. I'm guessing that is something that can be added for future years, perhaps?

I certainly cannot predict the future, and I'm in no way associated with, affiliated with, or otherwise part of, DCA.  Just a fan.  But I have a feeling the show is gonna stay in Williamsport for more than the initial two-year deal. Went to the HQ hotel to meet up with Brenda and others after the alumni thing, and the downtown area is pretty cool... walkable, safe, easy to navigate, etc.  Bullfrog was a great spot for lunch.

Hoping for next year folks. Just not quite ready for it this year. But the feed helped

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Hoping for next year folks. Just not quite ready for it this year. But the feed helped

I hear that, Jim. Know the feeling. Onward and upward.  LOL.

• Thanks 1