2018 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition - Williamsport, Pennsylvania

20 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that, Jim. Know the feeling. Onward and upward.  LOL.

Thanks my friend as you know all too well. My standard answer to how are you doing is “heading in the right direction”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Was there just for the alumni show... but I agree about the handrails. I'm guessing that is something that can be added for future years, perhaps?

I certainly cannot predict the future, and I'm in no way associated with, affiliated with, or otherwise part of, DCA.  Just a fan.  But I have a feeling the show is gonna stay in Williamsport for more than the initial two-year deal. Went to the HQ hotel to meet up with Brenda and others after the alumni thing, and the downtown area is pretty cool... walkable, safe, easy to navigate, etc.  Bullfrog was a great spot for lunch.

You have no idea how many people wanted to know where you were. I will not confirm nor deny a small cheer for the sound of your voice at Finals 

Congratulations to our Southern friends, Carolina Gold! Congratulations to C2 and to Bucs. I can't  state it enough, a huge thank you to both Columbus Saints and C2 for saving Atlanta CV from not having an adequate rehearsal site! Long story short, our field was unusable due to the fact that it ended 10 feet past the back hash. Add in a cement shot put ring right in the middle of side 1 and well,  you get the picture. New town, New challenges. It all worked out though with Saints giving us their field on Friday and C2 providing one of their fields Saturday and Sunday. We also exchanged food with C2 on Sunday and the two corps had some drum corps bonding time together. This is what it's all about. On the field competitors but off the field friends. Looking forward to next season! 

PS @kevingamin- yes the horn line wore chaos face paint. And you may have missed the very end in front of the pit where one of our brass members rocked it old school by literally ripping her trumpet in half and stomping it into the ground. If you've got video, check the last 15 seconds ones or so. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

You have no idea how many people wanted to know where you were. I will not confirm nor deny a small cheer for the sound of your voice at Finals 

Well... by 8 PM I was home watching LSU-Miami. :tongue:

• Like 1

Just read there were snakes in the warmup area. Darn trolls I mean staff members posting stuff

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RJ CVmellophone said:

Congratulations to our Southern friends, Carolina Gold! Congratulations to C2 and to Bucs. I can't  state it enough, a huge thank you to both Columbus Saints and C2 for saving Atlanta CV from not having an adequate rehearsal site! Long story short, our field was unusable due to the fact that it ended 10 feet past the back hash. Add in a cement shot put ring right in the middle of side 1 and well,  you get the picture. New town, New challenges. It all worked out though with Saints giving us their field on Friday and C2 providing one of their fields Saturday and Sunday. We also exchanged food with C2 on Sunday and the two corps had some drum corps bonding time together. This is what it's all about. On the field competitors but off the field friends. Looking forward to next season! 

PS @kevingamin- yes the horn line wore chaos face paint. And you may have missed the very end in front of the pit where one of our brass members rocked it old school by literally ripping her trumpet in half and stomping it into the ground. If you've got video, check the last 15 seconds ones or so. 

Caught that and laughed 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

He started by mentioning there were some bumps in the road and they’d get better. Good move, right thing. Then he went saying gives us a break, it’s the first year and the internet trolls need to chill out. Probably nicer than what was said when corps directors were read the riot act the other day, but just bad form.

and yeah I did complain a little bit ( when I could get reception which wasn’t dca’s fault). Parking was a cluster for prelims but better for finals. Better set up for souvies and outside food vendors for finals. Kudos. I heard numerous complaints all weekend about the warmup area but didn’t go out there, so no clue.

my number one concern: no safety rails in the aisle. With no access from field level, you had to go up and down the stairs no matter where you sat, and the stairs weren’t wide. I saw numerous older folks using the buddy system to help each other and I helped a few Saturday. Saw one older lady trying to navigate it with a walker.

i admit I’m a logistics nerd. As I got more involved with my local circuit I get very vocal about logistics and literally took over one portion of indoor championships logistics by force of will. And if concerns arose, I asked for specifics and tweaked it for either the next day or next year. I never got on a microphone and told people to chill out.

things did get better today and I was prepped to give credit. But that rant left a very bad taste in my mouth. It was as tone deaf as Roman Blenski showing up to prelims 

I’m with you on the railings.  I made it up and down fine but I was helping a lot of older folks, even with my bad right knee. 

1 hour ago, RJ CVmellophone said:

I love this about drum corps!!

46 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m with you on the railings.  I made it up and down fine but I was helping a lot of older folks, even with my bad right knee. 

Did a little Google search. Looks like the ELA Sport company did a pretty large renovation of the stadium, but upgrading the home stands was not part of the project. There were earlier reno plans created that were turned down due to excessive costs. The visitor stands look like they have railings in a couple of photos I saw, and they WERE part of the approved project.

You would think that with a team called the "Millionaires" they could have afforded the home stand reno too!   :bigsmile:    

• Thanks 1