All Electronic Front Ensemble/Pit

Thoughts on this as it debuts in the university marching band world? Would this ever make sense in drum corps? It does have logistical advantages/ disadvantages. Has anyone heard how these sound?

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke has been doing this since around 2008 or so. Their setup us been up to 3 or 4 Malletkats, 2 DTX's to act as timps and rack/auxiliary, 1-2 synths, bass, guitar, electronic drumset. All ran off of a Yamaha generator. Each performer has their own speaker so you can still see where various sounds are coming from in the ensemble. 

30 minutes ago, trwiggin said:

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke has been doing this since around 2008 or so. Their setup us been up to 3 or 4 Malletkats, 2 DTX's to act as timps and rack/auxiliary, 1-2 synths, bass, guitar, electronic drumset. All ran off of a Yamaha generator. Each performer has their own speaker so you can still see where various sounds are coming from in the ensemble. 

interesting - how does it sound/work? Do we know?

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

interesting - how does it sound/work? Do we know?

We started back when I was teaching there. it was originally because we wanted a front but did not have space for storage, or the instruments to use outside. So we came up with this idea. It allowed us to have a lot more flexibility for timbres with a smaller set of players since we could switch them pretty easily between sounds. It of course always had a bit of a synthetic sounds to it, but when we were doing a lot of Rock music etc. it actually fit pretty well. 

Edited by trwiggin

5 minutes ago, trwiggin said:

We started back when I was teaching there. it was originally because we wanted a front but did not have space for storage, or the instruments to use outside. So we came up with this idea. It allowed us to have a lot more flexibility for timbres with a smaller set of players since we could switch them pretty easily between sounds. It of course always had a bit of a synthetic sounds to it, but when we were doing a lot of Rock music etc. it actually fit pretty well. 

Interesting - THANKS. Maybe a combination of this approach and traditional approach for the DCI world. 

And to clarify the OP - this was the debut of the Pearl Malletstations only pit. 

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Interesting - THANKS. Maybe a combination of this approach and traditional approach for the DCI world. 

And to clarify the OP - this was the debut of the Pearl Malletstations only pit. 

I have over time recommended the concept for cash strapped schools as they could get 2-3 of these controllers often for the price of a marimba. Allows them to expand their ensemble capabilities indoors and outdoors.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, trwiggin said:

I have over time recommended the concept for cash strapped schools as they could get 2-3 of these controllers often for the price of a marimba. Allows them to expand their ensemble capabilities indoors and outdoors.

might help with sound sport / start up groups in the DCI realm -- or for a show themed appropriately 

• Like 1

only issues i can see is live by the plug die by the plug and weather

• Like 4

I am not ready for such a huge transition.  Pretty soon, everything will be electronic.  Why not just have holograms doing drill?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I am not ready for such a huge transition.  Pretty soon, everything will be electronic.  Why not just have holograms doing drill?

Over in Japan, Honda is working on using robots.

Edited by Ghost