Just A Thought!

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge? The amount of corps as well as the age of many DCA members is close to DCI age. Yes I know there is older veterans but as we lose more corps in both circuits...why not?

Discuss and don't be mean!!!

In terms of number of corps, DCI is holding steady, knock on wood.

And while DCA has a long way to go, they actually had one more corps this year (19) than last year (18).

Granted, adding Columbus Saints and Highland Regiment does not make up for losing Minnesota Brass. (Temporarily? Forever?)

What would be the advantage of merging?

• Like 2

Instead of going to a show with 3 or 4 corps, you could see 7 or 8. Years ago you could see the same 4 corps at a DCA show...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grenadiers. Now have some All-Age corps a few Open (DCI) and a couple World corps. Worth the price of admission.

Dci has how many corps now plus 19 DCA corps. The season ends sooner for those DCA college kids too. I'm sure there is more positives than negatives.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Instead of going to a show with 3 or 4 corps, you could see 7 or 8. Years ago you could see the same 4 corps at a DCA show...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grenadiers. Now have some All-Age corps a few Open (DCI) and a couple World corps. Worth the price of admission.

Dci has how many corps now plus 19 DCA corps. The season ends sooner for those DCA college kids too. I'm sure there is more positives than negatives.

well...you can get that now if a show host wants to mix and match, which you see in several places.

The problem with your idea is however is the DCI tour doesnt stay where DCA corps are. After the 4th of July, there's not much going on in the NE until close to Allentown. Same for down in GA or Alabama, and also in the midwest.....and, DCA is weekend only. So trying to get the full corps together for a weeknight show usually ends up with several holes on the field.

• Like 4

The last several years I thought about what if DCI and DCA merged. Get rid of both acronyms create a circuit where all corps are all age and have 3 sub circuits. Full tour circuit. Partial tour circuit. Regional Circuit. Even a new Sound Sport type Circuit.
Full tour and partial tour end up at a World Championship in a rotating city platform. Regional and Sound Sport would have regional championships.
It would create more shows, especially in the East where there is only a few WC and 3 OC corps to go with a good number of all age corps and
more shows can be generated in parts of the mid-west.

• Like 1

Would DCI even care about the all age end? They do provide a lot of help for them in the Mid-West and South, and used to in the West Coast, but, are the fans watching? Do they care or do they come in later afterwards? Or are they thought of, as was used in the infamous G7 document, "filler"? I don't know the answer. There's a marked tendency on DCP from the DCI end of things to look down their noses on DCA. Really look down their noses. heard much the same about DCI directors. Does DCA need to go somewhere where they'll likely be condescended to?

Would there be a separate championship site or would it all get moved to Indy?  As it is, most of the the DCA corps don't really get things in serious gear performance-wise until after Indy, and it's not because they get DCI MM's on board, it's just the shows take that long to really get sorted out and straight due to the complexity and more limited rehearsal time. Would the DCA fan base show up at Indy? Except for a few that are part of the DCI fanbase... problematical. At least there was a decent turnout at Williamsport and the stands were pretty filled. We'll have to see about next year.

• Like 3

Maybe if the Non-Northeast areas saw a DCA corps they may like them! MB were pretty good.

Much can be said about the problems of DCA but what was telling to me was the youthfulness of DCA members documented in a series of photos Maher posted recently. Few had the appearance of being overage by DCI rules. Not knowing the makeup of the membership of individual corps I was left with the impression that these performers have real life responsibilities that made DCA participation a better fit for their need to perform. The long time DCA member managements have shown little interest in a stronger relationship with DCI for aa variety of reasons. The glory days of DCA are long behind them and the ongoing approach to following DCI rules and advancements hasn't serve them well. While DCI has always kept the door open to discussions the ball is in DCA's court to move in that direction. The old adage, "you can lead a horse to water....." comes to mind.

my personal list of what can be done is nothing more than opinion as I don't have a seat at the table. It is for those who do to take off the rose -colored glasses and face reality.

Been many moons since I was a teenager in a Sr corps but yes, being a weekend warrior was a better fit for the younger people around me. Not only the touring but nearest Jr Corps was few hour drive away. 

41 minutes ago, leanlion said:

Much can be said about the problems of DCA but what was telling to me was the youthfulness of DCA members documented in a series of photos Maher posted recently. Few had the appearance of being overage by DCI rules. Not knowing the makeup of the membership of individual corps I was left with the impression that these performers have real life responsibilities that made DCA participation a better fit for their need to perform. The long time DCA member managements have shown little interest in a stronger relationship with DCI for aa variety of reasons. The glory days of DCA are long behind them and the ongoing approach to following DCI rules and advancements hasn't serve them well. While DCI has always kept the door open to discussions the ball is in DCA's court to move in that direction. The old adage, "you can lead a horse to water....." comes to mind.

my personal list of what can be done is nothing more than opinion as I don't have a seat at the table. It is for those who do to take off the rose -colored glasses and face reality.

there's more cooperation between DCI and DCA than there ever has been....look no further than DCA corps being able to be judged on DCA sheets at DCI shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2