Just A Thought!

Thinking recently...

The areas inside the NE have seen C2, very occasionally the Bucs IIRC at DCI East, the Thunderbirds, and I believe another group at DCI contests.

The areas outside of the NE have also seen Atlanta CV... Chops.... Carolina Gold (I do believe)...Alliance(though they are inactive)...the Kilties...MBI (Both of these currently inactive)... the Govies... I think the Columbus Saints have appeared this year(?).... Southern Knights... and I believe another group.

Let's see. Looking at the list, DCI audiences somewhere have seen at least 2 of the top three of the last 2 seasons, and all three of the last three DCA Champs somewhere, though I'm not certain how recently the Bucs have appeared at DCI Eastern Classic, ( I need help there). They've also seen arguably, and I really think there is no argument about it, the best all-time DCA Class A corps  repeatedly, and this year's Class A champ. so there's about a dozen DCA corps that have appeared at a DCI contest somewhere.

I haven't really heard any 'wowee's! from the DCI end of things with the exception of the Cadets crowd for their corps, and that's only been recently when they really got things cranking, and indeed they have, especially this season, IMHO.

Yeah, they 'may' like them... especially C2 with their connection and ties, but why would one of the NE groups shell out $15-20k to leave and find out when they have a DCA contest that's a lot closer that weekend, and they'll have an appreciative audience that's there to see them specifically, not as a sideshow act in the show lineup while they're waiting to see Vanguard or as the after contest thing while they grab a snack and hit the restroom? Anyone gonna pay a chunk of their way as a sponsor? There has to be a better rationale. There has to be a better incentive to attract them to those regions before they shell out the bucks. It may be arrogant, but there are also some pretty daggone good reasons, if you ask me.

Yet another issue-- Many of these corps don't really light the burners and show what they're really capable of until the week before DCA championships... if even then. Many of them don't really light it up till prelims and or finals. Many of the DCI fans wouldn't understand that fact, either. They're used to seeing a pretty solid, exciting, and complete product when the big cats show up, even in early July.

Edited by BigW
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's more cooperation between DCI and DCA than there ever has been....look no further than DCA corps being able to be judged on DCA sheets at DCI shows.

Agree!!!

Remembering the days, not too many years ago, when DCI's mantra on the broadcast regarding ageouts was "now that your drum corps career is over..."  No mention at all of an all-age alternative for those wishing to continue. And then there was the hatchet-job "feature" on senior/all-age corps, circa 1988-89. Yikes.

Times have changed, much for the better.  I still hear some knucklehead comments from folks who don't know better... but should... that DCA is not worth a look, but those comments do not come from the DCI home office. 

• Like 1

Hmm earlier comments reminded me that there have been some good combined contests in the NE with 2 panels over the years. Of course The Dream... The Hershey Spectacular... West Chester had one, and YEA hosted one at Chester in 2014. Nothing to stop someone from doing it again except for the planning effort and the $$$$$. The other issue is the way the tour structures, its got to be fairly early in the season whilst the DCI corps are in this neck of the woods.

Edited by BigW

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Agree!!!

Remembering the days, not too many years ago, when DCI's mantra on the broadcast regarding ageouts was "now that your drum corps career is over..."  No mention at all of an all-age alternative 

Lol remember 1979 telecast. My Sr corps did a parade in a monsoon in Street clothes and then drove still wet to Lewistown for a show. Show delayed a day so drove home still wet and got in the house just in time to hear “after they hit 22 they can no longer match”. Had to go outside to get the swearing out of my system. “Hey Steve what the #### do you think I was doing today? Sure looked like drum corps to me!”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Agree!!!

Remembering the days, not too many years ago, when DCI's mantra on the broadcast regarding ageouts was "now that your drum corps career is over..."  No mention at all of an all-age alternative for those wishing to continue. And then there was the hatchet-job "feature" on senior/all-age corps, circa 1988-89. Yikes.

Times have changed, much for the better.  I still hear some knucklehead comments from folks who don't know better... but should... that DCA is not worth a look, but those comments do not come from the DCI home office. 

Enough of the DCI performers have come from the DCA ranks that they're speaking up here and there. If change comes... I think it will come from them as they simply lay out the truth about the experience they got.

16 minutes ago, BigW said:

Enough of the DCI performers have come from the DCA ranks that they're speaking up here and there. If change comes... I think it will come from them as they simply lay out the truth about the experience they got.

Good point.

For one thing, it was nice to hear, on the cinecast a few years ago, the young man from the Madison Scouts speaking so highly about his time with the Caballeros before he went to Madison. DCA could not ask for better PR than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's more cooperation between DCI and DCA than there ever has been....look no further than DCA corps being able to be judged on DCA sheets at DCI shows.

a mere tip of the hat to DCA legacy. nothing more than that. real cooperation a long way off until DCA understands they are in the 21st century.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Thinking recently...

The areas inside the NE have seen C2, very occasionally the Bucs IIRC at DCI East, the Thunderbirds, and I believe another group at DCI contests.

The areas outside of the NE have also seen Atlanta CV... Chops.... Carolina Gold (I do believe)...Alliance(though they are inactive)...the Kilties...MBI (Both of these currently inactive)... the Govies... I think the Columbus Saints have appeared this year(?).... Southern Knights... and I believe another group.

Let's see. Looking at the list, DCI audiences somewhere have seen at least 2 of the top three of the last 2 seasons, and all three of the last three DCA Champs somewhere, though I'm not certain how recently the Bucs have appeared at DCI Eastern Classic, ( I need help there). They've also seen arguably, and I really think there is no argument about it, the best all-time DCA Class A corps  repeatedly, and this year's Class A champ. so there's about a dozen DCA corps that have appeared at a DCI contest somewhere.

I haven't really heard any 'wowee's! from the DCI end of things with the exception of the Cadets crowd for their corps, and that's only been recently when they really got things cranking, and indeed they have, especially this season, IMHO.

Yeah, they 'may' like them... especially C2 with their connection and ties, but why would one of the NE groups shell out $15-20k to leave and find out when they have a DCA contest that's a lot closer that weekend, and they'll have an appreciative audience that's there to see them specifically, not as a sideshow act in the show lineup while they're waiting to see Vanguard or as the after contest thing while they grab a snack and hit the restroom? Anyone gonna pay a chunk of their way as a sponsor? There has to be a better rationale. There has to be a better incentive to attract them to those regions before they shell out the bucks. It may be arrogant, but there are also some pretty daggone good reasons, if you ask me.

Yet another issue-- Many of these corps don't really light the burners and show what they're really capable of until the week before DCA championships... if even then. Many of them don't really light it up till prelims and or finals. Many of the DCI fans wouldn't understand that fact, either. They're used to seeing a pretty solid, exciting, and complete product when the big cats show up, even in early July.

Sunrisers were approved by DCI and performed in Cranston, RI

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

Define 'real cooperation' on your terms. Curious what you believe the expectations are.

Simple one would be DCI open class corps competing heads up against DCA corps when the opportunity presents itself during the course of the season. Use DCA sheets and judges. Have show sanctioned by DCA and see where it take you. This would be nothing more than testing the waters but a start.