Just A Thought!

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Hmm earlier comments reminded me that there have been some good combined contests in the NE with 2 panels over the years. Of course The Dream... The Hershey Spectacular... West Chester had one, and YEA hosted one at Chester in 2014. Nothing to stop someone from doing it again except for the planning effort and the $$$$$. The other issue is the way the tour structures, its got to be fairly early in the season whilst the DCI corps are in this neck of the woods.

one in Atlanta this year, some in the NE this year, and some in the midwest.

The thing is now the tour for DCI is different than it was. Hershey, until the last year was around the 4th. Now the DCI crew heads north for the monster payouts of those parades. Chester is now a weeknight. 

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Good point.

For one thing, it was nice to hear, on the cinecast a few years ago, the young man from the Madison Scouts speaking so highly about his time with the Caballeros before he went to Madison. DCA could not ask for better PR than that.

at least DCA got some PR somewhere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leanlion said:

a mere tip of the hat to DCA legacy. nothing more than that. real cooperation a long way off until DCA understands they are in the 21st century.

that my friend is a different topic for a different day. Let's just be glad for how far the relationship has come in 15 years

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, leanlion said:

Simple one would be DCI open class corps competing heads up against DCA corps when the opportunity presents itself during the course of the season. Use DCA sheets and judges. Have show sanctioned by DCA and see where it take you. This would be nothing more than testing the waters but a start.  

why would DCI Open Class corp want to compete on sheets different than the ones they compete on at DCI shows? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leanlion said:

Why? Separation will not help DCA see the future. As an organization they are failing themselves. My proposal is just a "why not" deal. The world will not come to an end.

why not just have the show with DCI judges on DCI sheets, and then fill out the DCA sheets with the judges working the DCI part. It makes no sense for a corps to do a show on sheets that mean nothing to their end game, just like when the DCM corps got judges on the old open class sheets, knowing full well the numbers meant nothing to DCA's system?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leanlion said:

Why? Separation will not help DCA see the future. As an organization they are failing themselves. My proposal is just a "why not" deal. The world will not come to an end.

Heck... the world would not come to an end if both DCI and DCA dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow, and drum corps rolled up the sidewalks.  :tongue: It's a big world out there. We're a niche activity at best. One we all enjoy... but still.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

why would DCI Open Class corp want to compete on sheets different than the ones they compete on at DCI shows? 

To see where they stand in a hypothetical "Sure... we'll go to the DCA championship with the 10 members we have left after everyone heads off to school" scenario?  :tongue:

Being snarky there, I know. LOL.  I don't see a problem with separate sheets, like the DCA corps use when they're in a DCI lineup.

However... gotta be honest, it might be cool, just once, to see how the OC corps stack up against the DCA units, head to head.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, leanlion said:

Somehow I see the future as both groups doing what it takes to have the activity survive. Is it failure to have separate sheets? What “failure” are you seeing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

one in Atlanta this year, some in the NE this year, and some in the midwest.

The thing is now the tour for DCI is different than it was. Hershey, until the last year was around the 4th. Now the DCI crew heads north for the monster payouts of those parades. Chester is now a weeknight. 

Yep! Just can't squeeze them in.  :wall:

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

However... gotta be honest, it might be cool, just once, to see how the OC corps stack up against the DCA units, head to head.

I think it might be a mixed bag. Depends what OC corps, depends what DCA corps. Also on what criteria. The problem is it's like comparing Indy Cars to F1. Totally different objectives and rules dictate design and purpose. Which is "better"? Obviously one person on the thread has that answer figured out to their liking. The answer is deeper than they think and realize.

• Like 1