Convert VHS to Digital... will DCI let me do it?

I have an individual performance VHS of a Cincinnati Glory from finals in 2000... I am trying to get it converted to Digital before the VHS tape breaks.... but no company will do it since it is copy writed. They did say if I get a letter from DCI saying they could do it, then they would... 

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting such a letter from DCI before? 

1 hour ago, CincinnatiGloryMello said:

I have an individual performance VHS of a Cincinnati Glory from finals in 2000... I am trying to get it converted to Digital before the VHS tape breaks.... but no company will do it since it is copy writed. They did say if I get a letter from DCI saying they could do it, then they would... 

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting such a letter from DCI before? 

If the videotape is your property, the "Fair Use" part of copyright law allows you to make a backup copy. Duping companies generally avoid commercial videotapes because proof of ownership is difficult or impossible to establish - easier just to say "no." But if you find a way to copy it, there's nothing stopping you from doing so legally.

Few years back did same thing with other copyrighted material. I had to say that this was for my personal use and only making a copy as was going to get rid of the VHS machine. IOW would end up with only one copy but different format. Too bad that company went under as it was mainly a camera shop.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, CincinnatiGloryMello said:

I'm very surprised you are having a hard time getting this done.  Several years ago I had mine converted from 1990.  I did not have a problem, but this might of been before all the current copyright hoopla. 

I don't remember what company I used, but let me check my records.  It is worth a shot.

Looks like there are ways to do this at home. Here's a how-to video on Youtube.

I bought a canopus converter several years ago. The quality wasn't high, but I got my VHS tapes converted to digital.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:50 PM, Liahona said:

I'm very surprised you are having a hard time getting this done.  Several years ago I had mine converted from 1990.  I did not have a problem, but this might of been before all the current copyright hoopla. 

I don't remember what company I used, but let me check my records.  It is worth a shot.

years ago tresona wasnt making life hell for everyone