Vanguard Cadets to remain on West Coast

I'm hearing that, due to the expense and financial stress on the organization, the Vanguard Cadets will no longer do a national tour. Trying to get official confirmation

There was an email from Steve Barnhill that was screenshotted and posted to Reddit. He has resigned as Executive Director of SCVC and the corps will only compete on the West Coast in 2019.

This is from another FB page:

Well...I knew my good day wouldn't last TOO long....smh. Sad news out of Santa Clara...apparently it's official. The Vanguard Cadets are no longer going to be touring nationally, and will remain in California only. Their great director, Steve Barnhill, has resigned because of this decision.

I've been crowing about this for years, but drum corps need to be run by business people with business acumen and wisdom. I would assume that the costs are ABSOLUTELY ASTRONOMICAL for the Vanguard organization to field TWO major groups AND a world class winter guard.

I may not LIKE this decision and it will probably not bode well for future iterations of the corps, but, Vanguard is doing what I actually want drum corps to do--be business savvy and SUCCESSFUL. Sometimes--decisions are made for the bottom line that suck.

Great run SCVC. You are awesome!!

• Sad 1

I hope DCI will stream the west coast Open Class championships next year.

In the long run, might having both a west and an east/midwest Open Class circuit lead to the existence of more new corps?

If the rumor is true and SCVC stays home-bound, would there be an attrition of mms to other Open Class corps, to SCVA (in a year that will probably see peak audition turnouts after a championship) or will kids retire early with their dinkles and gold medals?  If they move elsewhere as hinted by the FB poster, what corps will benefit from this championship membership?

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

If the rumor is true and SCVC stays home-bound, would there be an attrition of mms to other Open Class corps, to SCVA (in a year that will probably see peak audition turnouts after a championship) or will kids retire early with their dinkles and gold medals?  If they move elsewhere as hinted by the FB poster, what corps will benefit from this championship membership?

Mandarins is an obvious possibility.  BD and SCV less likely simply due to high audition numbers.