Vanguard Cadets to remain on West Coast

14 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

This is from another FB page:

Well...I knew my good day wouldn't last TOO long....smh. Sad news out of Santa Clara...apparently it's official. The Vanguard Cadets are no longer going to be touring nationally, and will remain in California only. Their great director, Steve Barnhill, has resigned because of this decision.

I've been crowing about this for years, but drum corps need to be run by business people with business acumen and wisdom. I would assume that the costs are ABSOLUTELY ASTRONOMICAL for the Vanguard organization to field TWO major groups AND a world class winter guard.

I may not LIKE this decision and it will probably not bode well for future iterations of the corps, but, Vanguard is doing what I actually want drum corps to do--be business savvy and SUCCESSFUL. Sometimes--decisions are made for the bottom line that suck.

Great run SCVC. You are awesome!!

I wouldn't worry about future iterations of either SCV or BD as to be fair, they really didn't get too many "kids" directly from their feeder corps anyways.. Both are "destination" corps.. ie.. places people go to age out.. A lot of the SCVC and BDB kids went on to other World class corps rather than directly into the A corps respectively. Sure some eventually aged out there, but I am willing to bet the actual numbers are probably pretty insignificant.

36 minutes ago, xandandl said:

That's about when Fiedler joined SCV isn't it?

Fiedler joined SCV in 2008. So... maybe.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

BDB posted on instagram they too are staying in Cali this summer.

IMO...I think it's all due to the issues slamming the activity this year after years of being ignored.

I think it's purely financial, and also some scope creep. World Class drum corps, winter guard programs, winter percussion programs, local concert and instructional programs, Open Class drum corps... even with two organizations as fiscally healthy as BD and SCV, putting TWO full-sized drum corps on the road for a national tour every year eats up a TON of money. 

From the sounds of it, BD staff and SCV staff were talking about this most of the summer, just wondering if they were REALLY spending their money in the most advisable fashion. 

1 minute ago, hostrauser said:

I think it's purely financial, and also some scope creep. World Class drum corps, winter guard programs, winter percussion programs, local concert and instructional programs, Open Class drum corps... even with two organizations as fiscally healthy as BD and SCV, putting TWO full-sized drum corps on the road for a national tour every year eats up a TON of money. 

From the sounds of it, BD staff and SCV staff were talking about this most of the summer, just wondering if they were REALLY spending their money in the most advisable fashion. 

I have been told by a reliable source in one of the corps that this decision is nothing at all to do with finances... That's all he would say though.

My gut reaction this is fallout from the scandals... although I have no proof. Just a gut feeling.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

have you other sources for this comment?  "last several weeks" in SCVC's official statement could mean anything since Championships...or before.

9 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

i am told neither is financial. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am told neither is financial. 

You have more (and probably better) sources than I do, so... :shutup:

Just now, hostrauser said:

You have more (and probably better) sources than I do, so... :shutup:

i truly and honestly think it's a reaction to everything heard and unheard or rumored.

• Like 1