Blue Devils B to Remain on West Coast

9 minutes ago, IndigoDemonFan said:

A letter just sent to BDB parents that they are also remaining on west coast.  Open Class Finals will be missing the top 2 Corps next year.

Do you have a copy of the letter to post and share to confirm what you said here?  Disbelievers found some certainty upon reading SCVC's former director's letter.

Seismic shifts in Open class protocols for sure. Will a separate program in Michigan City remain on the schedule for DCI?

The news about BDB is in the SCVC press release on Vanguard's page.

https://www.scvanguard.org/vanguard-cadets-launch-california-initiative/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

The news about BDB is in the SCVC press release on Vanguard's page.

https://www.scvanguard.org/vanguard-cadets-launch-california-initiative/

interesting p(ublic relations firm written)ositive spin as compared to Reddit's explanation of cause and reasoning behind it all. Dan's comments need to be parsed. Might non-Pioneer WC felt rattled and said so? Just speculating here.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Do you have a copy of the letter to post and share to confirm what you said here?  Disbelievers found some certainty upon reading SCVC's former director's letter.

Seismic shifts in Open class protocols for sure. Will a separate program in Michigan City remain on the schedule for DCI?

Though I have never been to Michigan City, I’d hate to see it go. I have been told I’m missing a great experience but it does not attract a huge crowd. I would go, but it’s not the most convenient location. A person I sat with a few years back believes having it closer to Indy would be a better idea and having finals on Wednesday night might attract people who arrive in Indy on Wednesday though this could be a problem for I and E. Losing two competitors is a loss, though Battalion is reportedly looking at 2019 or 2020 as a possibility, Les Stentors seems to be looking at a comeback (and they are still accepting donations). I would think scrapping OC prelims and finals could hurt OC and the unique character of the corps, but changing the location and the number of finalists would not be a problem.

26 minutes ago, IndigoDemonFan said:

It's disappointing that a rotation of location for any of the DCI finals is not being discussed.  Even for World Class, the west coast Corps have more costs with respect to travel.  

while what you say is true in one perspective, California corps have the most generous of potential fundraising abilities given the Bingo and tax laws there, resources that other States do not give the local corps. I realize that crossing State lines has ramifications: legally, financially, and generating popularity among volunteers and fans among them. As many others have said, some blatantly, it may not be tour costs which are generating the financial squeeze for either organization.  I do agree with you that championships should be rotated around the nation to grow the fan base and allegiance.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I humbly admit that I always skip the Saturday night Finals exhibition by the Open Class champion.

Instead, I'm always at the Slippery Noodle relaxing at dinner with good friends.

I think it’s a return of the corps original mission for both. Why are kids aging out of feeder corps? Why is there a disconnect between the groups in each?

• Like 1