World Class Corps can breathe again! (14-20)

Not necessarily an Open Class only forum discussion but now that Both BDB and SCVC will not be returning to DCI in 2019, is this a sigh of relief for the lower tier WC corps? These past few years both these corps have unseated a few WC corps and knocked on a few doors . I think both of these corps have pushed WC to step up their level of shows as not to be bested by a B / Cadet corps.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Nuts4DC said:

Not necessarily an Open Class only forum discussion but now that Both BDB and SCVC will not be returning to DCI in 2019, is this a sigh of relief for the lower tier WC corps? 

No.I don't believe so.  Theres no such thing as a " sigh of relief for lower tier WC Corps ", imo. Their predicament is fundamentally based upon what they do internally within their own organizations to put out the best programs they can based upon the available resources they have and what they perceive as their mission/ goals for their organizations.

The decision on the part of both SCVC and BDB is more likely a pause and a " sigh of relief " unto themselves, as clearly its a recognition that both BDB and SCVC were biting off more than could chew financially with the huge costs involved embarking on national tours out of California for Corps in the Open Class Division who are not compensated the same way as the World Class Division Corps are. Thus, its more of a " sigh of relief " for themselves that they finally came to this decision after enduring the financial pressures perhaps longer than should have.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nuts4DC said:

Not necessarily an Open Class only forum discussion but now that Both BDB and SCVC will not be returning to DCI in 2019, is this a sigh of relief for the lower tier WC corps? These past few years both these corps have unseated a few WC corps and knocked on a few doors . I think both of these corps have pushed WC to step up their level of shows as not to be bested by a B / Cadet corps.

Thoughts?

I think there will be lots of speculation( for now ) as to why  from finances, to membership, to travel etc.

Just a thought, Maybe these corps, especially BD who has many irons in the fire are planning something bigger and better for the younger corps. Maybe their mission might go far beyond DCI in the bigger picture, maybe what might be offered. makes more sense than traveling as an OC corps.

I don't think either of these corps will change the education of their younger members nor take away from them without a plan and maybe even a bigger purpose offered. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

no. Those corps still need to put out a good product because Open Class continues to put out good programs annually beyond the top 2

• Like 7

No one should breathe a sigh of relief. You don't get better just because your competition changes. The product that you put on the field still is what it is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I think there will be lots of speculation( for now ) as to why  from finances, to membership, to travel etc.

Just a thought, Maybe these corps, especially BD who has many irons in the fire are planning something bigger and better for the younger corps. Maybe their mission might go far beyond DCI in the bigger picture, maybe what might be offered. makes more sense than traveling as an OC corps.

I don't think either of these corps will change the education of their younger members nor take away from them without a plan and maybe even a bigger purpose offered. JMO

If they were planning something "bigger and better", why would they only announce something smaller?

44 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If they were planning something "bigger and better", why would they only announce something smaller?

Have they? Could also be at the moment it's not for the public. I'm not saying they don't want to downsize in some form BUT they have the resources to offer possibly something bigger than DCI

17 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Have they? Could also be at the moment it's not for the public. I'm not saying they don't want to downsize in some form BUT they have the resources to offer possibly something bigger than DCI

Bigger than DCI?  No.  Sure, they are two of the most resource-rich organizations drum corps will ever see, but not that rich.

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Bigger than DCI?  No.  Sure, they are two of the most resource-rich organizations drum corps will ever see, but not that rich.

Yes bigger than DCI , although many in the activity think DCI may be the end all be all there's lots more out there and BD for 1 offers alot to those involved

As I said downsizing and cutting may also be a possibility BUT if they are keeping those members around you can bet they will offer them at very least equal in way of opportunity. Wouldn't that make sense?

Edited by GUARDLING

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes bigger than DCI , although many in the activity think DCI may be the end all be all there's lots more out there and BD for 1 offers alot to those involved

Sure - they send groups to different corners of the world at times.  But that clearly is not the plan when they say BDB will only travel in California in 2019.

And regarding "bigger than DCI" - I think what BD does in DCI is bigger than what they do outside of DCI.  More people participate, the programs are more profoundly life-changing, and the BD organization clearly devotes more of their resources to their DCI programs.