World Class Corps can breathe again! (14-20)

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Let us be clear that there were 2 principally business reasons for why Open Class corps are allowed to compete/perform in World Class championships prelims and semis...and potentially Finals.

1. When the decision was made in this century, there was concern that the number of corps was dwindling. Remember that once upon a time DCI prelims took 2 days with almost 100 corps at its apex. Now it has dwindled to only 2 dozen World Class units. Since the same amount of money was being spent for renting LOS all day, Open Class corps were allowed to fill the void.

2. Sell more tickets. If Open Class corps were to compete in World Class championships, they would not be skipping Semis and Finals for a trip home. Their parents, families and friends would spend more money to see their darlings perform again. Shelling out $$$ for the three more days isn't going to equal the Gross National Product but it could help DCI pay one or two bills.

but DCI pushed a third reason, idealistic. It gave the Open Class mms another experience in a large venue and a goal to keep striving for (make top 25, 17, 12, etc.)

My own thinking has evolved on this. Originally I was opposed to reasons 1 and 2 feeling DCI was (ab)using the younger kids. But 3 had some merit. With the quality of Open Class programs we've witnessed (and enjoyed) the past several seasons, I think participation in World Class championships Prelims and after should be permitted only for the top 5-6 Open Class corps. In other words, a reward for a job well done and earned as much as any medal or trophy is. Other corps seem lost in such a vast canyon and it is unrealistic to the mms. 

I get your point on Point 1.

With Point 2. I think not having OC corps at World prelims would rarely impact ticket sales. I marched OC before WC. The first year I was in OC we did not go to championships, yet nearly every member and their family did go ('84 Atlanta). I did not, and therefore had that whole week off - no one was around, they were all in Atlanta. The next two years we went to championships and stayed the whole week (didn't advance to world prelims). Everyone stayed. Everyone went to prelims, semifinals and finals in '85 and' 86. Everyone's parents who came in went to all three shows. Heck, we didn't make OC finals one year, and we all went anyway. Let's face facts, it's the top world corps that are the by far biggest draw. Very few would blow into OC prelims and finals then blow out missing WC all together. Of course, there may be a few, but I'd venture almost all stay through finals week regardless of how far they advance. ####, I was happy we didn't advance when in OC because the season was over and I got to go watch Vanguard rehearse at night instead of rehearsing myself.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

despite the legends of the two groups hating each other, there's a lot of communication between them, and other groups. As I said earlier, I sat by board members of two other DCI corps this past weekend, and they dropped the hint it was coming. And both thought it was good for all.

Yes, back in my day it seems they sure did hate each other. I know the tide has turned and there's a lot of friendship and respect between the two groups, which I love. That's what I meant though - obviously BD and SCV were working together on this in some capcity, so I wonder what is really happening. 

• Like 3

I can see the headline now: SCVC and BD B to merge for 2020 season! 

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I get your point on Point 1.

With Point 2. I think not having OC corps at World prelims would rarely impact ticket sales. I marched OC before WC. The first year I was in OC we did not go to championships, yet nearly every member and their family did go ('84 Atlanta). I did not, and therefore had that whole week off - no one was around, they were all in Atlanta. The next two years we went to championships and stayed the whole week (didn't advance to world prelims). Everyone stayed. Everyone went to prelims, semifinals and finals in '85 and' 86. Everyone's parents who came in went to all cshows. Heck, we didn't make OC finals one year, and we all went anyway. Let's face facts, it's the top world corps that are the by far biggest draw. Very few would blow into OC prelims and finals then blow out missing WC all together. Of course, there may be a few, but I'd venture almost all stay through finals week regardless of how far they advance. ####, I was happy we didn't advance when in OC because the season was over and I got to go watch Vanguard rehearse at night instead of rehearsing myself.

i don't doubt your experience; I do doubt that what happened in '84 is the economic situation of over 30 plus years later. For one, corps don't get the chance to billet at schools like in '84; Indy is one place where school starts the beginning of August. Therefore corps have to stay in hotels. Staying 3 more night is costly. I know that corps like Louisiana Stars and two others where I had contacts left after prelims to head back home due to finances and the early school/band camp starts in Texas, Swamp States and Louisiana.  Besides, tickets were much cheaper back in '84 for the Georgia Tech show, and the two Madison shows; tickets have almost tripled. Ditto on restaurant costs. Salaries have not. You have a nice memory to hold onto, but memories don't pay bills.

Edited by xandandl

5 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Wish we’d known that before we stayed in a school that week...

Mike

depends on your school district I guess. We had to stay several nights in hotel and only had the school on the weekend. Indiana is a big state.

First of all there is no Hate btw BD and SCV. I’ve been in this DC activity for decades. It’s competitive but in a totally respectful way. I love these two Corp like you would not believe. This is why I follow this activity. I live in SF. Grew up in concord and became a big follower after 1976. Scv winning this was a complete. Some have no idea how these to iconic corps do things together. Last year they did a joint celebration for their respective anniversaries. So no they don’t hate each other. 

• Like 1