We Need More Open Class Shows in California

Martha

When I told my husband that SCVC and BDB were not leaving California he suggested DCI should try to host more Open Class Shows in California.  There are a lot of areas that do not have any drum corps shows at all such as Ventura County/San Fernando Valley, the San Luis Obispo area and other parts of the state.  I guess DCI could have to see if this is feasible however the activity would get more exposure and the open class members would get more opportunities to perform.  Maybe this is just wishing thinking on his part.

• Like 1

Hell we need more here too. Closest one is 4+ hours away in the woods of NW PA

Here are all the California Shows from this year.

June 21-July 6th
Clovis
Stanford
Sacramento
Pacific Procession (Exhibition)
Oceanside
Pasadena
Riverside
2nd Sacramento 

July 15th-21st
Norwalk
Bakersfield
Pleasant Hill

-------------------------

In the past, they had a show either in Santa Barbara and Oxnard. I can see adding that show back on. I can see them moving the 2nd Sac show to the latter half of the calendar. Perhaps shift the calendar to the following. All OC California corps who embark on a national tour can either opt to do the first tour,  go national or do both California tours,  a few shows in the mid-west before the OC Prelims. 

First Tour June-Early July 
**Past Shows added back
*New Show Location

Clovis
Stanford
Sacramento
Pacific Procession (Competitive for OC)
Santa Barbara**
Oceanside
Pasadena
Riverside

Mid-July Tour
Oxnard**
Thousand Oaks*
Norwalk/Bellflower
San Diego*
Bakersfield
2nd Sacramento Show
Pleasant Hill (California OC Final Show)

3 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Closest here was 4 hours away in upstate NY.

Yet when did 7th Regiment last sponsor a show?  The St. Bernard's one when Charlie Poolie got hit with the sabre across his head?

Southern Conn., Holy Cross College, New Britain stadium and U.Conn's stadium in E. Hartford are all the right size for a DCI show.

Until there are more Open Class corps on the east coast there will unfortunately be no shows other than tour shows (hopefully more than 4 corps at a show).

A South Jersey High Schools Band Association was interested in hosting a show this year but it only had 3 corps.
Raiders (local), 7th (is what,  4 hrs away(?)) and Spartans (5 or 6 hrs way)?
DCI tried to get Legends to come from MI or Les Stentors from Canada, but that will never work for a Tuesday night show with no other show to go to for 2 weeks.  Show was cancelled.

Next year there may be 1 or 2 more corps in OC which will hopefully boost the chance of a show or 2 happening here.
At least the California OC corps have a good number of shows before tour hits.

Our home show (Impulse) is well attended every year.  It is a lot of work to host a show and you really need a good volunteer base however all of the volunteers had a great time.  Hopefully this will all work out. 

Just an FYI to Host a show can cost a corps up to $10,000 or more... The biggest issue is housing / rehearsal site with the school districts in California, that's whay alot of shows have dropped out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Yet when did 7th Regiment last sponsor a show?  The St. Bernard's one when Charlie Poolie got hit with the sabre across his head?

I don't remember that lol. That didn't happen last year did it? Last year was the only time I went to St. Bernard's for a show. 

I use to go to 7th's show in New London. Always well run and well attended. That was back when you had at least 4 corps in the New England area, 2 from NJ and 1 from NY.
It went belly up several years ago and unfortunately there are now no Open Class pre-tour shows on the East Coast.

Sad