DCI survey

I've started writing this comment so many times, only to delete it and move on.  ...but I took the survey and question surrounding members being required to be 18+ really got to me.  Now don't get me wrong, I completely and totally understand the reasoning behind this question and put the safety of members as top priority.  However, I also had a member who started with DCI at 14 and marched a top 5 corps at 17.  The lessons drum corps brought my MM is something that I think has helped set the stage for a lot of different situations in life and the ability to handle them.  I am fully aware that each experience is different and my heart hurts for those who have been affected so negatively by the actions of others.  That is in no way acceptable.    For my own MM and many that I know, the activity brought them some of the best times in their young lives and some amazing friends who all had the same passion, attitude, and work ethic.  It brought them the ability to try that one more time, even when they thought they had nothing left.  It brought the ability to grow not only as a musician, but also as a person.  It taught them that there sometimes we all need someone to lean on and sometimes we need to be there for others.  It brought the feeling of connection with a generation so different than their own.  An ability to connect with those 'outside their circle.  There were obstacles, broken buses (they happen), a grueling schedule, conflicts (we are human after all), and a whole lot of sun...but there was also leadership, education, comradeship, adaptability, confidence, and ton of support.  It has led me to volunteer and continually give back to our music programs.  To encourage those kids who may need that extra bit of whatever.  Drum Corps changed my MM and we are forever touched by those who have been instrumental in the journey.  We aren't done (obviously), but I cannot imagine not having it been a part of our lives for the past 4 years.  

To all the instructors, staff, volunteers, alumni and members who are the positives of this activity & embody what Drum Corps should be about, Thank you!!    

Edited by DCIat14
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

They specifically asked about cymbals. I gave my permission to cut them. So I'm pretty sure I have impact.

I also asked them to please double up on the use of electronics, singing, and voice-overs. And couldn't we use another couple dozen guard members?

i am ok with everything but the cymbals part

15 hours ago, mjoakes said:

They specifically asked about cymbals. I gave my permission to cut them. So I'm pretty sure I have impact.

I also asked them to please double up on the use of electronics, singing, and voice-overs. And couldn't we use another couple dozen guard members?

You forgot to ask for saxophones?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

I've started writing this comment so many times, only to delete it and move on.  ...but I took the survey and question surrounding members being required to be 18+ really got to me.  Now don't get me wrong, I completely and totally understand the reasoning behind this question and put the safety of members as top priority. 

Maybe you do not understand, then.  Segregating 18+ from 18- age groups has nothing to do with safety of the corps members, and everything to do with safety of the organizations (fear of lawsuits).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe you do not understand, then.  Segregating 18+ from 18- age groups has nothing to do with safety of the corps members, and everything to do with safety of the organizations (fear of lawsuits).

This is also my impression! 

As far as I'm concerned, preserving the viability of national touring corps is an important objective going forward. Not the only objective, of course. But, Drum Corps International (the organization) functions on the revenue generated from its self-sponsored, focus events.  This means Indy and the other Regionals. These are the events DCI puts together. The balance of the national tour dates serve to link together the major events, both to and from.

It is increasingly more difficult for DCI to find corps housing to accommodate its focus events. Recent news and events could  make finding enough space in public school districts an impossible task.  So, what might happen?  Perhaps, corps being housed in college dorms and hotel rooms. If the age 18 minimum serves to help DCI better manage its own events, I'm all for that.

It's the DCI focus events that produce significant funding to Drum Corps International. The ticketing, sponsorship, souvenir sales, and digital media income from these events help to make related marching arts functions healthy, too. That includes every smaller, probably younger, drum corps. 

To repeat, if an age minimum would help to extend the viability of distance travel then that's what needs to happen.

• Confused 1

On 9/14/2018 at 7:47 AM, cixelsyd said:

Leave it up to the individual organizations.  Doubt many would go for it.  There are less heavy-handed solutions to the risk of lawsuits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1