Oregon Crusaders to focus on cultural sensitivity

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:
21 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I have never stuck my neck out here on DCP but I'm doing it now.  Flame me all you want.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I can't fault you for defending a corps you love, but at some point you have to acknowledge you are being massively outnumbered. There are a lot of people on Facebook right now (not the anonymity of Reddit) putting their names to claims.

No one is blaming you for not seeing everything that ever happened, but at what point do you set your doubt aside and start believing the victims?

^^ THIS RIGHT HERE!!! 

No one is blaming you but something must be done asap as we have former members/drum majors/ even staff claiming change needs to happen! 

27 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I can't fault you for defending a corps you love, but at some point you have to acknowledge you are being massively outnumbered. There are a lot of people on Facebook right now (not the anonymity of Reddit) putting their names to claims.

No one is blaming you for not seeing everything that ever happened, but at what point do you set your doubt aside and start believing the victims?

Well, it's not just me 'not seeing everything'.  There is my son and several of his corps friends he is still in contact with, one of whom marched and was then on staff as an assistant tour manager.  They all marched OC for many years. 

I can only speak to what I know and saw with my own eyes and what I heard from members, volunteers, the board, etc. 

I think we live in a hyper-sensitive age that is going to take some time to adjust to and I guarantee if this stuff is going on in OC, it is going on EVERYWHERE.  We are at the tippy tip of the iceberg.

Also, I may be outnumbered but that doesn't disavow what I have to say!

Edited by luv4corps

If anything is done that can bring criminal charges (and what is being described fits) it is NOT being hypersensitive. Calling reactions to these deeds as being hypersensitive is part of the problem.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Mother of god...

"In talking to NWAPA/OCI women and alumni, I now know of 9 member-on-member cases of rape or assault."

The MS stuff alone could be a Hopkins case.  That I will admit.

The original post reeks of snow flakes and those requiring trigger warning.  The reddit thread is a complete 180 with something clearing rotten in the state of Oregon.  Truth is likely somewhere in the middle....like it or not everyone has a voice with social media now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If anything is done that can bring criminal charges (and what is being described fits) it is NOT being hypersensitive. Calling reactions to these deeds as being hypersensitive is part of the problem.

I never said that all accusations fit into the 'hypersensitive' category.  But some do.  Lines are blurred right now and society has not fully adjusted.  As much as I support the MeToo movement, having been the victim of sexual assault and harassment MYSELF,  more than once, I know the difference between assault and being hit on. 

They are two VERY different things but get lumped into the same category. 

Now please, I'm not speaking to any specific OC situation with this statement.  I am trying to make a point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I never said that all accusations fit into the 'hypersensitive' category.  But some do.  Lines are blurred right now and society has not fully adjusted.  As much as I support the MeToo movement, having been the victim of sexual assault and harassment MYSELF,  more than once, I know the difference between assault and being hit on. 

They are two VERY different things but get lumped into the same category. 

Now please, I'm not speaking to any specific OC situation with this statement.  I am trying to make a point.

Now that you’ve gone into detail I understand your post better 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

My heart is breaking for this corps and the ED and the board, many of whom I know and have worked with.  They are GOOD PEOPLE.  This is devastating.

My heart is breaking for MMs who were subjected to awful treatment (at best) and assualt (at worst), not to mention legitimate safety concerns.  

There isn't 1 person who marched in 2018 who will come back.  That speaks volumes - no matter what your experience was 4 years ago.

I still don't understand why we struggle to listen and believe people (especially when they speak in such large numbers).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I hope what you say is correct, though if what Reddit folks are saying is true, it involves criminal behavior and privacy issues are mute. I do wonder if Oregon Crusaders has a grasp on what is happening because at best negative publicity is exploding, at worse they are not recognizing serious wrongdoing. They may need some outside help because as anyone who has faced serious problems knows, you can’t alway see straight when you’re in the middle of a storm. 

IDK if they get it either.  Bad news ALWAYS ages poorly.  There is a limited amount of time available to rectify a situation (YEA/Cadets hold the record currently).

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

My heart is breaking for MMs who were subjected to awful treatment (at best) and assualt (at worst), not to mention legitimate safety concerns.  

There isn't 1 person who marched in 2018 who will come back.  That speaks volumes - no matter what your experience was 4 years ago.

I still don't understand why we struggle to listen and believe people (especially when they speak in such large numbers).  

Obviously, four years ago is not today.  My heart can and will continue to break for an organization that, in spite of the current situation, has done a lot of good for a lot of kids, my own son included.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1