Oregon Crusaders to focus on cultural sensitivity

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

Hello people...

I'm going to say again that the OC accusations on Reddit are flying fast and furious and I feel compelled to defend the corps and I will continue to do so. There is a grain of truth to some of the charges, and OC is addressing these issues but they are GETTING BLOWN UP AND OUT OF CONTROL. 

I was on tour with OC in 2014.  Let's just take the case of the homophobic bus driver.  I RODE THE PERCUSSION BUS WITH THAT JERK and yes, he was awful.  The drivers were employees of a hired bus company.  NOT OC's FAULT when in the middle of tour the complaints about the drivers start rolling in.  What were they to do?  I do believe the bus company WAS contacted and told of the horrible attitude of the drivers and to my knowledge, they never used that company again.  The brass bus driver had to be kept awake by the cook mom on the bus who then had to freaking make breakfast at 5 AM.  That was a horrible situation but again, NOT OC's fault.  I clearly remember one of the other cook moms and I talking at length with the board president after DATR about the percussion driver and he was VERY RECEPTIVE  to our concerns.  As far as how MQ handled the gay member's assault, I can't speak to his exact actions but I refuse to believe he did it the horrific way described on Reddit. I have been in contact with MQ recently, and have talked at length with my son about all of these accusations and....neither he nor I believe this puffed up rumor mill.  

He marched with the corps for FIVE YEARS and saw none of this.  Yes, everyone knew that a certain percussion staff member known as MS was a jerk .  I wasn't surprised that he was gone for the 2018 season.  I'm sure there will be repercussions regarding his actions and I will attest that the information about him specifically could be fact but all the rest of this stuff I am having a hard time believing was as horrific as described.

I have never stuck my neck out here on DCP but I'm doing it now.  Flame me all you want.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

not OC's fault, but....they had legit reason to cancel the contract and get a new company or demand new drivers. So, in a way yes that is OC's fault. Calling and complaining then doing nothing doesn't count as a justified defensible response. 

the bottom line is any of this is an issue, and shows a culture at the top that doesn't do enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

My heart is breaking for MMs who were subjected to awful treatment (at best) and assualt (at worst), not to mention legitimate safety concerns.  

There isn't 1 person who marched in 2018 who will come back.  That speaks volumes - no matter what your experience was 4 years ago.

I still don't understand why we struggle to listen and believe people (especially when they speak in such large numbers).  

agreed. if an entire corps of kids is gone, there's fire behind that smoke.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luv4corps said:

Obviously, four years ago is not today.  My heart can and will continue to break for an organization that, in spite of the current situation, has done a lot of good for a lot of kids.  

Sorry but had a Penn State flashback with all the good comment. The bad that is supposedly going on needs to be taken care of as it is making the past good things irrelevant 

• Like 1

How many more corps have problems as serious (albeit different) as we have heard about at Cadets, Pioneer, and now Oregon Crusaders? Just before the season started, someone told me that there were major concerns about four corps (whom he or she did not name), significant enough that some corps were wondering whether DCI's entire 2018 season would be scrapped. But when the summer proceeded with no further major incidents being reported until we started hearing about Pioneer in the last few weeks, I thought perhaps he or she had been misled. Apparently not. This thread is the first I'm hearing about O.C., but some people are clearly not surprised. There are people on this forum who have connections, so to them: without naming names, how many more big shoes do you expect to drop?

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How many more corps have problems as serious (albeit different) as we have heard about at Cadets, Pioneer, and now Oregon Crusaders? Just before the season started, someone told me that there were major concerns about four corps (whom he or she did not name), significant enough that some corps were wondering whether DCI's entire 2018 season would be scrapped. But when the summer proceeded with no further major incidents being reported until we started hearing about Pioneer in the last few weeks, I thought perhaps he or she had been misled. Apparently not. This thread is the first I'm hearing about O.C., but some people are clearly not surprised. There are people on this forum who have connections, so to them: without naming names, how many more big shoes do you expect to drop?

All of them.

And all the other bad news in DCI.

The camel is IN the tent.

One thing I know for sure: if Donna Bachelor is involved, the rats will scurry away before she arrives and the place will be scrubbed and sterilized clean.

(EDIT: Not that I'm suggesting I have "connections".)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

Apparently there was an article that was supposed to be released with Cavies and SCV ties... and it never did... hmmhm... 

All posts here that have named specific corps or individuals without reporting elsewhere to back them up--and I did see several posts here in April about one person who formerly had a key role at both those organizations--have been deleted because DCP doesn't want to be sued. So yours probably will be also.

45 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How many more corps have problems as serious (albeit different) as we have heard about at Cadets, Pioneer, and now Oregon Crusaders?... There are people on this forum who have connections, so to them: without naming names, how many more big shoes do you expect to drop?

Many (some in the distant past, some more recent). I won't go as far as Garfield to say ALL, but he's not far off. George Hopkins was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are at least two or three more "big shoes" poised to drop, but I don't know if they will, or when. The problem is...

38 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

Apparently there was an article that was supposed to be released with [ties to two DCI championship corps]... and it never did... hmmhm... 

I don't think they could ever get anyone to go on record about it. That will also be a recurring theme as we talk about this. There are a lot more stories and rumors out there, but if the victims don't want to go on record you're doing a tightrope walk on the libel and slander wires and most organizations won't risk that.

Edited by hostrauser

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

All posts here that have named specific corps or individuals without reporting elsewhere to back them up--and I did see several posts here in April about one person who formerly had a key role at both those organizations--have been deleted because DCP doesn't want to be sued. So yours probably will be also.

Potential lawsuits could be part of why posts are deleted but  are probably not the only reason why DCP has taken down posts. If you don’t have accusers to come forward, you don’t have allegations. It’s that basic. You may know it’s true, but people have to come forward first, otherwise it’s not much better than hearsay and rumors. 

In general, defamation of character lawsuits are getting harder for people to win and often lots of dirty laundry is aired. The court of public opinion tends to favor those who make accusations. Unless a person has a better than spotless record, I’m not sure anything would be gained. If DCP is sued, it could cause havoc and perhaps the forums could be shut down though that is questionable, but what else could happen? I may be wrong but I don’t think DCP is a Fortune 500 company rolling in the dough.