Oregon Crusaders to focus on cultural sensitivity

16 minutes ago, BigW said:

I realize the buses were contracted out, and perhaps the better response from management should have been:

"Get us new drivers NOW, or we go public about how your drivers are and sue your company's axx to the nines. Am I clear?"

Dropping a dime (aka making a phone call) to Uncle Sam would be in order too (Federal Transportation Commission?). They would love to hear about drivers with anger issues.

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Dropping a dime (aka making a phone call) to Uncle Sam would be in order too (Federal Transportation Commission?). They would love to hear about drivers with anger issues.

Yeah. How fast would their CDL get yanked? Measured in how many heartbeats or less?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BigW said:

Yeah. How fast would their CDL get yanked? Measured in how many heartbeats or less?

Oh yeah to the vanishing CDL. Dad had one when he worked motor pool at New Cumberland Army Depot. Uncle Sams touchy about those things.

5 hours ago, luv4corps said:

He marched with the corps for FIVE YEARS and saw none of this.  Yes, everyone knew that a certain percussion staff member known as MS was a jerk .  I wasn't surprised that he was gone for the 2018 season.  I'm sure there will be repercussions regarding his actions and I will attest that the information about him specifically could be fact but all the rest of this stuff I am having a hard time believing was as horrific as described.

I have never stuck my neck out here on DCP but I'm doing it now.  Flame me all you want.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I believe you in that you and your son had a positive experience and didn't see things on the level reported. Unfortunately its rather meaningless that that's what you saw. 

Here's the thing. It is incredibly easy to not see a lot of these things if you are not one of the ones directly affected. People get pressured not to talk, or feel ashamed to talk. Hell, in some of them the younger victim of mistreatment may even not recognize anything was wrong with that situation until years later. I'm actually quite amazed members are posting publicly their disapproval of the group, as it seems like most DCI groups have a 'keep issues within the family' mentality, for better or for wors.. 

And it happens and has happened at far too many places. I, like your son, had the greatest few summers of my life with Blue Stars. But i know now, some from information that came out years later, that there were some that did not due to some staff members behavior. Hell, one of my favorite (at the time) vis techs from 05 is now serving 15 years for ####### 8th graders. You just never know.  

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the rumor still circulates. My hunch is when and if the reporters have a story that can back up fully, it'll get out.

The basis for the rumored story is well known. one of the worst kept secrets in an activity full of poorly held secrets

I'm not in these loops (which is fine by me!), but as I mentioned in another thread, an acquaintance of mine who used to work in the entertainment industry in Los Angeles was hearing stories about Harvey Weinstein as far back as 1992. That means at least 25 years passed before the news went public.

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

Maybe ALL drum corps should follow the lead of BDB and SCVC  ... stay home in 2019 ... get your #### together

Wow.  Harsh.  And expensive.  And destructive.  And not necessary.

In your context, ALL is correct.  In the way I used it, I'm confident that ALL of the skeletons of the past will be shaken from the tombs.

Michael: "How bad is it going to be?"

Clemenza:  "Pretty G-- D--- bad.  Aaeehhh, that's all right.  This has gotta happen every five years.  Ten years.  Helps to get rid of the bad blood."

3 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Many (some in the distant past, some more recent). I won't go as far as Garfield to say ALL, but he's not far off. George Hopkins was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are at least two or three more "big shoes" poised to drop, but I don't know if they will, or when. The problem is...

I don't think they could ever get anyone to go on record about it. That will also be a recurring theme as we talk about this. There are a lot more stories and rumors out there, but if the victims don't want to go on record you're doing a tightrope walk on the libel and slander wires and most organizations won't risk that.

Yea, to clarify.  I'm not suggesting that ALL corps have skeletons, but I am saying that all those skeletons, ever, in every corps that ever had them, for ever, will now be brought into the light, hosed off with antiseptic, and held up as examples - and trophies.

I really don't think this whole thing runs very deep at all.  But big and significant change will come as a result of it, most certainly.

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

I'm confused.  Are they rats or a camel?

I know you're teasing.  The camel is the solution and it not only has his nose under the tent, but the whole camel is now in the tent.  The tent is where the rats hide in the dark.  The camel lifts the tent and the rats scurry...

Were you kept in your room as a kid with no cartoons? :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

same here, and it wasn't  speculation or gossip it said " THIS IS COMING"

pretty much the same thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You've gotta be kidding me. 

It seems like you are a little close to the board and staff at OC to see clearly. 

I don't necessarily put a huge weight on anonymous reddit comments but I will take the words of many actual members with names and faces over a DCP poster with connections to the corps. 

Seeing all the non-anonymous comments on Facebook is eye opening 

stunning, yet rewarding to see. obviously if OC wants any of those kids or staff to return, this approach isn't doing it

• Like 1