Oregon Crusaders to focus on cultural sensitivity

57 minutes ago, AlexL said:

I believe you in that you and your son had a positive experience and didn't see things on the level reported. Unfortunately its rather meaningless that that's what you saw. 

Here's the thing. It is incredibly easy to not see a lot of these things if you are not one of the ones directly affected. People get pressured not to talk, or feel ashamed to talk. Hell, in some of them the younger victim of mistreatment may even not recognize anything was wrong with that situation until years later. I'm actually quite amazed members are posting publicly their disapproval of the group, as it seems like most DCI groups have a 'keep issues within the family' mentality, for better or for wors.. 

And it happens and has happened at far too many places. I, like your son, had the greatest few summers of my life with Blue Stars. But i know now, some from information that came out years later, that there were some that did not due to some staff members behavior. Hell, one of my favorite (at the time) vis techs from 05 is now serving 15 years for ####### 8th graders. You just never know.  

i am getting the drift OC wanted to keep it in the family. However the kids, seeing how the Pio stuff went down, decided to go public.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

stunning, yet rewarding to see. obviously if OC wants any of those kids or staff to return, this approach isn't doing it

Approach seems to be we’re having training sessions to tell people how to be more tolerant. What is needed is to say “we’re not putting up with this #### any more”.

1 hour ago, AlexL said:

I believe you in that you and your son had a positive experience and didn't see things on the level reported. Unfortunately its rather meaningless that that's what you saw. 

Here's the thing. It is incredibly easy to not see a lot of these things if you are not one of the ones directly affected. People get pressured not to talk, or feel ashamed to talk. Hell, in some of them the younger victim of mistreatment may even not recognize anything was wrong with that situation until years later. I'm actually quite amazed members are posting publicly their disapproval of the group, as it seems like most DCI groups have a 'keep issues within the family' mentality, for better or for wors.. 

And it happens and has happened at far too many places. I, like your son, had the greatest few summers of my life with Blue Stars. But i know now, some from information that came out years later, that there were some that did not due to some staff members behavior. Hell, one of my favorite (at the time) vis techs from 05 is now serving 15 years for ####### 8th graders. You just never know.  

The keeping things in the family mentality thing is dumb when the problems are at the top and there's no sign of real change. It's just an oppressive guilt trip. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Dropping a dime (aka making a phone call) to Uncle Sam would be in order too (Federal Transportation Commission?). They would love to hear about drivers with anger issues.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Yeah. How fast would their CDL get yanked? Measured in how many heartbeats or less?

IDK - remember the Phantom accident in 2017 - Feds & State (AZ) were called; as there was a fatality and it was a commercial bus company I am pretty sure there was some sort of investigation; however google doesn't find a word about it other than the reports immediately following the tragedy.

Based on what we know - it sounds like a case of driver error (inc no seat belt used), but it WAS a commercial company & one would think that a report would at least include something like 'more training & enforce standards'.

Actually, "More Training and Enforce Standards" (esp the latter) would fix a lot of the 'management' problems we are seeing in OC & Pioneer & who knows where else...

(9 months to go until June!)   

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not in these loops (which is fine by me!), but as I mentioned in another thread, an acquaintance of mine who used to work in the entertainment industry in Los Angeles was hearing stories about Harvey Weinstein as far back as 1992. That means at least 25 years passed before the news went public.

I am not in these loops either but at a theater event some years ago there were a few ageouts of the Corps involved sitting near me discussing it.

And I am the last guy to hear about anything (ask my kids or students.  They had to explain Netflix to me the other day)

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Yea, to clarify.  I'm not suggesting that ALL corps have skeletons, but I am saying that all those skeletons, ever, in every corps that ever had them, for ever, will now be brought into the light, hosed off with antiseptic, and held up as examples - and trophies.

I really don't think this whole thing runs very deep at all.  But big and significant change will come as a result of it, most certainly.

Did you hear about the skeletons they found in a closet in Park Ridge IL?  It was Cavies champion hide & seek team from 1978.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I know you're teasing.  The camel is the solution and it not only has his nose under the tent, but the whole camel is now in the tent.  The tent is where the rats hide in the dark.  The camel lifts the tent and the rats scurry...

Were you kept in your room as a kid with no cartoons? :tongue:

I've never heard the "tent" saying used to describe a positive thing, but I'm glad the camel is getting some love after busting its hump after all these years.

Cartoons are where I learned all I know about classical music.  They were not as helpful, though, where the laws of physics are concerned...

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Cartoons are where I learned all I know about classical music.  

Cartoons and Gilligan's Island.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

I know you're teasing.  The camel is the solution and it not only has his nose under the tent, but the whole camel is now in the tent.  The tent is where the rats hide in the dark.  The camel lifts the tent and the rats scurry...

Were you kept in your room as a kid with no cartoons? :tongue:

I think you're making up metaphors and trying to pass them off as universals. :tongue:

Sorry to be one to let the weasel out of the pot. 

Edited by kkrepps