Oregon Crusaders to focus on cultural sensitivity

3 minutes ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

Can you put the Reddit link on here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/9dmjnq/email_i_just_got_from_oregon_crusaders/

See the comments section.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Thanks 1

Training is one thing. After reading the link imo they need a policy of #### you do not do and have members/staff/BoD/bus drivers freaking follow it or be tossed and if applicable turned over to police.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hello people...

I'm going to say again that the OC accusations on Reddit are flying fast and furious and I feel compelled to defend the corps and I will continue to do so. There is a grain of truth to some of the charges, and OC is addressing these issues but they are GETTING BLOWN UP AND OUT OF CONTROL. 

I was on tour with OC in 2014.  Let's just take the case of the homophobic bus driver.  I RODE THE PERCUSSION BUS WITH THAT JERK and yes, he was awful.  The drivers were employees of a hired bus company.  NOT OC's FAULT when in the middle of tour the complaints about the drivers start rolling in.  What were they to do?  I do believe the bus company WAS contacted and told of the horrible attitude of the drivers and to my knowledge, they never used that company again.  The brass bus driver had to be kept awake by the cook mom on the bus who then had to freaking make breakfast at 5 AM.  That was a horrible situation but again, NOT OC's fault.  I clearly remember one of the other cook moms and I talking at length with the board president after DATR about the percussion driver and he was VERY RECEPTIVE  to our concerns.  As far as how MQ handled the gay member's assault, I can't speak to his exact actions but I refuse to believe he did it the horrific way described on Reddit. I have been in contact with MQ recently, and have talked at length with my son about all of these accusations and....neither he nor I believe this puffed up rumor mill.  

He marched with the corps for FIVE YEARS and saw none of this.  Yes, everyone knew that a certain percussion staff member known as MS was a jerk .  I wasn't surprised that he was gone for the 2018 season.  I'm sure there will be repercussions regarding his actions and I will attest that the information about him specifically could be fact but all the rest of this stuff I am having a hard time believing was as horrific as described.

I have never stuck my neck out here on DCP but I'm doing it now.  Flame me all you want.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

Interesting as Bullying portion of the policy was only adopted June of this year and Sexual Harrasment Nov of 2017. Didn’t check dates on other parts of policy.

confused about the year of the homophobic bus driver: from reddit looks like this year but luv4corps makes it 2014 and Corps never used that company after

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I think it's important to recognize the fact that there is a lot of poppycock floating around concerning OC.  Not everyone who comments knows what they are talking about, and in some cases, not even the more 'knowledgeable' posters, or even OC members or staff to some degree.  There are issues of privacy that make some details impossible to make known. 

OC will rally and get past this and be better for it.  Count on it.  

I hope what you say is correct, though if what Reddit folks are saying is true, it involves criminal behavior and privacy issues are mute. I do wonder if Oregon Crusaders has a grasp on what is happening because at best negative publicity is exploding, at worse they are not recognizing serious wrongdoing. They may need some outside help because as anyone who has faced serious problems knows, you can’t alway see straight when you’re in the middle of a storm. 

• Like 2

From Facebook...

Nick Bledsoe: OC has promised every year will be a better member experience since my rookie year in 2013. Judging by the reactions to this post I must not be the only one tired of hearing it.

Amrit Gupta: The problem of members not feeling heard, supported, or safe is nothing new. That was one of my biggest challenges as horn sergeant in 2015 - so many members were injured and staff refused to listen or take precautions. After so many conversations, I remember the ultimate answer I was given when addressing preventable member injuries: "The bottom line is, it's just not my problem." Other staff members tried to actively humiliate and shame members who had legitimate concerns. I remember standing 6 inches away from an awful staff member's face as he yelled at me for trying to find a peaceful solution in a situation where he wanted to expel a member from the corps.

OC has demonstrated time and time again that it is far more concerned with its image in the NW/DCI than bringing in compassionate staff who will respect the members and treat them with dignity and care. I will never recommend OC to any of my students.

My condolences and solidarity go out to members of OC18. Thanks so much for taking action for yourselves, and by extension for those of us who were here earlier.

Brendnn Tate: I would like to point out to all who see this post the reactions made by members of OC18. [editor's note: apparently, each and every member of OC18 that has weighed in on OC's statement so far has responded to the post with an "angry" reaction.]

Dylan Rider: You still aren't listening to us.

Cabrian Young: I have not publicly talked about my experience with the Oregon Crusaders much, but would love to share my recommendation to audition literally anywhere else.

• Sad 1

Just now, Tim K said:

I hope what you say is correct, though if what Reddit folks are saying is true, it involves criminal behavior and privacy issues are mute. I do wonder if Oregon Crusaders has a grasp on what is happening because at best negative publicity is exploding, at worse they are not recognizing serious wrongdoing. They may need some outside help because as anyone who has faced serious problems knows, you can’t alway see straight when you’re in the middle of a storm. 

My heart is breaking for this corps and the ED and the board, many of whom I know and have worked with.  They are GOOD PEOPLE.  This is devastating.

2 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Mother of god...

"In talking to NWAPA/OCI women and alumni, I now know of 9 member-on-member cases of rape or assault."

17 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I have never stuck my neck out here on DCP but I'm doing it now.  Flame me all you want.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I can't fault you for defending a corps you love, but at some point you have to acknowledge you are being massively outnumbered. There are a lot of people on Facebook right now (not the anonymity of Reddit) putting their names to claims.

No one is blaming you for not seeing everything that ever happened, but at what point do you set your doubt aside and start believing the victims?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1