Alumni Spectular to move inside for 2019

LucyGuy66

IIRC the Bucs have a solid workaround at their indoor concert by ringing the audience with the brass so it's spread out and surrounds rather than just sledgehammers everyone.

The smaller groups like Selden are fine indoors since they don't boom the bajeezus out of the room.

6 hours ago, BigW said:

When Profiles in Brass was at Red Lion, we warned a person the Westshore lead baris were going to light them up. Big time. They said it was okay. I think we deafened the poor guy but he asked for it.

LOL... the first year the show was in York at the high school... 2012, similar situation with 'Shore. Paul Geiger and I were set up with the aux. percussion equipment maybe a few feet, at best, in front of the folks in the first rows on our side.

We smiled and apologized to the folks in advance that it "might get a little loud."  :laughing:They too said, no problem.... it's drum corps.

31 minutes ago, BigW said:

IIRC the Bucs have a solid workaround at their indoor concert by ringing the audience with the brass so it's spread out and surrounds rather than just sledgehammers everyone.

The smaller groups like Selden are fine indoors since they don't boom the bajeezus out of the room.

True.

It's more of a "Surround Sound" sledgehammer with them. LOL. Especially their lower brass, who can knock teeth out when necessary. :tongue:

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

We smiled and apologized to the folks in advance that it "might get a little loud."  :laughing:They too said, no problem.... it's drum corps.

I just said “used to it, I March in front of the contras”.

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

Not as bad, though. You can hear more of everything instead of a lot of reverb.

I agree... it's more of a full sound, than "laser loud."  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dbriggs said:

Loud is Good

Only if you are deaf!  Which I am definitely not.  In fact, avoiding loud and percussive sounds, has helped me retain my still excellent hearing.  While I love the sounds of yesterday's corps, I do not miss the over-blowing and distorted loud sounds of those "old" out of tune G bugles, especially indoors.  Wailing FH, excepted, of course.:whistle:

Edited by Bob P.
Spelling.

25 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Only if you are deaf!  Which I am definitely not.  In fact, avoiding loud and percussive sounds, has helped me retain my still excellent hearing.  While I love the sounds of yesterday's corps, I do not miss the over-blowing and distorted loud sounds of those "old" out of tune G bugles, especially indoors.  Wailing FH, excepted, of course.:whistle:

As a former French horn player myself, I gladly grant you that exception!!!  :tongue:

One of the reasons why a small, very talented group with rock hard arrangements like Selden sounds really fine indoors. Maybe that might encourage them to appear at the event for 2019. I would hope so!

Yes, I do like them. They sound and play great, their repertoire is enjoyable and varied...a group I'll sit and listen to any time.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

One of the reasons why a small, very talented group with rock hard arrangements like Selden sounds really fine indoors. Maybe that might encourage them to appear at the event for 2019. I would hope so!

Yes, I do like them. They sound and play great, their repertoire is enjoyable and varied...a group I'll sit and listen to any time.

I agree on Selden.... but I believe the show is by invitation only.  Not sure a corps like them is on the radar screen.