Crossmen 2019

13 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Hearing from Reddit that the Crossmen have decided to cut their cymbal line. :(

It’s all over Facebook too, with all sorts of threats of losing fans, alums not giving, etc. 

53 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Hearing from Reddit that the Crossmen have decided to cut their cymbal line. 😞

Email from the caption head confirmed it and has been posted on various mediums. Kinda insulting statement if you ask me

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, xandandl said:

As the Vikings began invasions of Ireland from 795 Anno Domini to 1120 A.D., which is several hundred years after Ireland had already embraced Trinitarian Christianity, perhaps there is a commingling of cultural symbols although the meanings of the symbols have become divergent over the ages. Crossmen designers will need be wary to express one one thing without being seen to representing the other. You know, that Cultural Sensitivity issue that is DCI au courant.

J.R.R. Tolkien's friend George Sayer, speaking seven years after Tolkien's death: "I've gone for one or two walks with Tolkien, and he did talk to me about natural scenes he visited. One of the things I noticed, which surprised me from the start, was the way in which he regarded certain natural scenes as evil. This came up most strongly after he'd been examining in order -- that is to say classifying students in an Irish University according to their achievements in the English language and literature. He described Ireland as a country naturally evil. He said he could feel evil coming from the earth, from the peat bogs, from the clumps of trees, even from the cliffs, and this evil was only held in check by the great devotion of the southern Irish to their religion. This was a very strange view, and was not one I could even have guessed."

Anyway, maybe Crossmen will use the symbol to express more than one meaning. Maybe they'll be deliberately ambiguous!

13 hours ago, Tim K said:

It’s all over Facebook too, with all sorts of threats of losing fans, alums not giving, etc. 

For losing cymbals?  How many other corps over the years lost fans and alums stopped donating because of losing cymbals?  Now, if SCV dropped their C line, hell must have frozen over.

Edited by Ghost

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

For losing cymbals?  How many other corps over the years lost fans and alums stop donating because of losing cymbals?  Now, if SCV dropped their C line, hell must have frozen over.

several corps have reacted to the backlash and kept the cymbals.

Rennick was never a big cymbal guy before SCV, and the first question asked in an interview when he got the gig was if he was going to cut the plates. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CACTSC said:

Evidently Mandarins are not having a cymbal line either. (Posted on FB) So that just leaves SCV in top 12, and a few more in world class. 

Colts and PC had them...Madison finally ditched their right? I forgot so much of the 18 show already

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

For losing cymbals?  How many other corps over the years lost fans and alums stopped donating because of losing cymbals?  Now, if SCV dropped their C line, hell must have frozen over.

Some of the comments on the Facebook page make it seem like getting rid of the cymbals is worse than the move to Texas and events that preceded it. For some alums, it may be more of "the straw breaking the camel's back" than anything else. I think too that this past year has been a bit challenging for Crossmen. Prior to the season's beginning, reports were not great about the upcoming year, There was anger over a hiring decision, and as the season progressed, Spirit knocking them out of finals was not an impossibility and some thought Academy could make a late season surge. Now the anger could be over getting rid of a tradition, but other things may be a factor as well. 

I do find it somewhat difficult to believe that many dreams are shattered by Crossmen not having a cymbal line as a few commentators on Reddit made it sound, and it is not as if they have had auditions with kids trying out for the cymbal line and then being told they were not needed, but so often how news is delivered is what is key. Perhaps if it was said "we will not be using cymbals this year but we are adding to the brass, drumline, front ensemble, guard, etc., it would have come across better. For some it came across as "we don't need you, good bye." 

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Some of the comments on the Facebook page make it seem like getting rid of the cymbals is worse than the move to Texas and events that preceded it. For some alums, it may be more of "the straw breaking the camel's back" than anything else. I think too that this past year has been a bit challenging for Crossmen. Prior to the season's beginning, reports were not great about the upcoming year, There was anger over a hiring decision, and as the season progressed, Spirit knocking them out of finals was not an impossibility and some thought Academy could make a late season surge. Now the anger could be over getting rid of a tradition, but other things may be a factor as well. 

I do find it somewhat difficult to believe that many dreams are shattered by Crossmen not having a cymbal line as a few commentators on Reddit made it sound, and it is not as if they have had auditions with kids trying out for the cymbal line and then being told they were not needed, but so often how news is delivered is what is key. Perhaps if it was said "we will not be using cymbals this year but we are adding to the brass, drumline, front ensemble, guard, etc., it would have come across better. For some it came across as "we don't need you, good bye." 

the problem with the decision for so many places to cut cymbals is this:

it's a highly specialized instrument, and those that choose to do it are extremely motivated. These kids have to be kick ### musically and visually and physically.....you carry your arms in the set position for hours a day, master all of the techniques, and then all the visual stuff. There's a lot of kids that dream of being a cymbal player in a top corps...and so few places left to do it.

Now, when tubas get cut for low end synth patches, to many that'll be the end of the world. But you can't duplicate what a marching cymbal line can give you musically and visually by cutting them and "letting the pit do it". Why? Can't pull the kids off of the keyboards long enough. Then again, one of the selling points for amplification in 2002 was that pits could shrink as you'd need less of them. Well, yeah about that...

and IMO, the caption heads letter about the game evolving is a pure slap in the face to cymbal players. Saying you're outdated. Well they sure seem to be relevant in indoor now don't they?

I'd be saying this regardless of the corps. I had the distinct pleasure and joy of learning the art of marching cymbals in 2000 as well as being allowed to tech them for a while. It was truly eye opening, and i continue to seek out more knowledge about this wonderful art that is so marginalized by way too many in the activity. I mean hell, the leads only play 1/3 of the show right? Cut the thirds and let the leads cover their parts when they aren't fracking or hanging releases

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2