Crossmen 2019

Sorry. I never understood the hype with cymbal lines. It’s an extremely limited instrument and the mms spend most of the show doing silly visuals instead of actually playing. Total waste of field space, IMO. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, crownisking said:

Sorry. I never understood the hype with cymbal lines. It’s an extremely limited instrument and the mms spend most of the show doing silly visuals instead of actually playing. Total waste of field space, IMO. 

total lack of understanding of the instrument. but thanks for speaking your mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

total lack of understanding of the instrument. but thanks for speaking your mind

That’s why we’re here. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking of how to articulate why this move bothers me.

Besides the fact that I've always enjoyed watching them do their thing, I think it's because I LIKE that different corps have different instrumentation.  The variety is appealing.  To have a few more corps, including my beloved Crossmen, get rid of marching cymblas means there's a little less variety.

We like it when color guards vary their equipment from one corp to the next.  We like when the hornlines have different mixes of instruments and this has been encouraged by allowing the trombones and other horns get included.  

This move seems to be in the opposite direction.  It's a move from being a little different from most of the other corps toward sameness.

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem with the decision for so many places to cut cymbals is this:

it's a highly specialized instrument, and those that choose to do it are extremely motivated. These kids have to be kick ### musically and visually and physically.....you carry your arms in the set position for hours a day, master all of the techniques, and then all the visual stuff. There's a lot of kids that dream of being a cymbal player in a top corps...and so few places left to do it.

Now, when tubas get cut for low end synth patches, to many that'll be the end of the world. But you can't duplicate what a marching cymbal line can give you musically and visually by cutting them and "letting the pit do it". Why? Can't pull the kids off of the keyboards long enough. Then again, one of the selling points for amplification in 2002 was that pits could shrink as you'd need less of them. Well, yeah about that...

and IMO, the caption heads letter about the game evolving is a pure slap in the face to cymbal players. Saying you're outdated. Well they sure seem to be relevant in indoor now don't they?

I'd be saying this regardless of the corps. I had the distinct pleasure and joy of learning the art of marching cymbals in 2000 as well as being allowed to tech them for a while. It was truly eye opening, and i continue to seek out more knowledge about this wonderful art that is so marginalized by way too many in the activity. I mean hell, the leads only play 1/3 of the show right? Cut the thirds and let the leads cover their parts when they aren't fracking or hanging releases

Jeff.  I respect you and I value your opinions.  You are a percussionist fighting for your section.  I understand

1.  The cymbals are no more specialized than and other instrument.  Sorry.  They did not enter school saying I want to be a cymbal player.  Trumpet, Fhorn,  Euph, Tuba are all specialized.  They require years of training to play that one horn. Ask a Euphonium player what ir is like to hold their arms up in playing position all day.  They would beg for a pair of cymbals.  Im sure if playing cymbals is that important then they might have to look elsewhere if admin doesnt want to change.  

2.  The visuals provided by cymbals may be interesting and complex, most were not designed to depict the show.  More to highlight technical prowess.  Is it any different than snare players and their stick visuals.  Nice to look at, but does it REALLY make show better.  Certainly not musically.  If a horn player tossed his horn in the air, caught it 5 yards away and continued to play, might be interesting to watch.  Not musical and has nothing to do with show.

3.  The caption head has a right to explore his way onto the scene.  As an educator I am keenly aware as of late the way things are changing.  If you spent 1 day in a classroom today you will notice that things are evolving drastically each yea and day by day.  You wont notice it teaching a band or judging.  You have to be in the trenches.  You I believe called me closed minded the other day or at least to that generality.  Im more open minded today than I was 20 years ago.  I have to be.  If you were in education you would understand.

4.  I am a Crossmen Alumni.  I enjoyed my time.  The corps is much different that 31 years ago.  Their traditions have changed as well.  The day they get rid of the aussie hat is the day the corps has lost their identity.  The year they went to the shako during school for scandal year didnt last long.  Yes, they used them before.  Most corps today look nothing like they did.  They wear costumes that depict an idea or thought, not a tradition.  Thise days are probably gone

2 minutes ago, dhawtho1 said:

4.  I am a Crossmen Alumni.  I enjoyed my time.  The corps is much different that 31 years ago.  Their traditions have changed as well.  The day they get rid of the aussie hat is the day the corps has lost their identity.  The year they went to the shako during school for scandal year didnt last long.  Yes, they used them before.  Most corps today look nothing like they did.  They wear costumes that depict an idea or thought, not a tradition.  Thise days are probably gone

You know they took off the aussies for most of the show last year right?

I'm not expecting to see them again.

4 hours ago, dhawtho1 said:

Trumpet, Fhorn,  Euph, Tuba are all specialized.  They require years of training to play that one horn. Ask a Euphonium player what ir is like to hold their arms up in playing position all day.  They would beg for a pair of cymbals.  Im sure if playing cymbals is that important then they might have to look elsewhere if admin doesnt want to change.  

As a lifelong marching bass drummer who picked up a baritone for one marching season in college, and then picked up a euphonium five years later for an A Class corps, it's not THAT bad. 

The other problem with this statement that "they might have to look elsewhere" becomes a lot tougher when the number of opportunities shrinks with each passing year.