Crossmen 2019

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have spoken many times on here, and to a degree in this thread, the value they bring, and nothing I can say will change your mind. if you're worried about the cost of cymbals, then look at the cost of the props, constantly changing uniforms, electronic equipment, pit instruments and tubas and many more things than the cost of 5 sets of plates and at best two techs.

And considering the plates are free... no real cost. Just a tech and the 4 spots. 

22 hours ago, xxxdcifanxxx said:

The current cymbal staff at Crossmen is notoriously difficult to work with. Instead of integrating into the corps and supporting it they decided to be cocky and act superior to the other sections. I am not surprised by this decision. 

... are the section techs not hired by the caption head? Surely any caption head in DCI can hire techs that will teach as directed?

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

True... but what this lead to was more opportunities for percussionist in general as the eight members (4 timp and 4 keys) became a front ensemble with 6, 8, 10 , 14 and now in some instances 18 members sections. This did not eliminate the voice or section... just repositioned it with better instruments. The elimination of the cymbal section eliminates an entire voice. Disappointing since it can be very effectively used by SCV and until 2019 the Crossmen.  

Cymbal parts can be played by the front ensemble, as well as the timpani and keys, if that is what a corps chooses to do for the cymbal voice. It is not disappearing.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

On the other hand, is the absence of a cymbal line treated the same way as the absence of any other percussion section?  For instance, a corps with no marching snares?

i've judged it LOL. you judge whats there.

52 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Cymbal parts can be played by the front ensemble, as well as the timpani and keys, if that is what a corps chooses to do for the cymbal voice. It is not disappearing.

well...no. name one pit that dropped the Innovative or Vics to pick up a set of lids for an extended passage...hell anything more than an orchestral crash?

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

What I believe Jeff is trying to get across is that there is a difference in sound and the effects possible with marching cymbals rather than cymbals in the pit. Marching cymbals are much more than the occasional crash, and offer a distinct challenge and color to the percussion section. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well...no. name one pit that dropped the Innovative or Vics to pick up a set of lids for an extended passage...hell anything more than an orchestral crash?

That is what I am referring to. Apparently most of the percussion designers  do not believe that extended cymbal routines are valuable musically. They prefer the concert cymbal approach for the most part. Otherwise they would keep the field sections.

On 9/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, MotoSurfBass said:

Exactly. I played bass in corps because I played bass in high school. And I played bass in high school since day one of freshman year when the caption head looked at me and said, "you're tall, pick up that biggest drum."

Ahhh... remembering the Stone Age days in the local drum corps circuits, when the stumblebums who couldn't cut any other section would be put either on cymbals or in the honor guard.  :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeD said:That is what I am referring to. Apparently most of the percussion designers  do not believe that extended cymbal routines are valuable musically. They prefer the concert cymbal approach for the most part. Otherwise they would keep the field sections.

1. The visual component of a cymbal line is usually more distracting than complementary.  Might be “cool” but it’s usually very separated from the rest of the visual effect.  

2.  While the breadth and depth of cymbal  musical vocabulary can be very interesting, most of it doesn’t read from the box .  

3.  Simplifying the staff composition is probably an easy call for most caption heads facing a fixed staff budget.  You don’t just hire one person for the summer anymore;  everyone wants time off to go back to their high school programs over the summer. So you need “coverage” for the entire summer.  

We used to have honor guards in every corps as well. Things evolve. Change happens whether we like it or not. Maybe plates will come back into fashion. But for now most of DCI seems to prefer a battery without them.  C’est la vie. 

12 hours ago, Moomitch said:

What I believe Jeff is trying to get across is that there is a difference in sound and the effects possible with marching cymbals rather than cymbals in the pit. Marching cymbals are much more than the occasional crash, and offer a distinct challenge and color to the percussion section. 

don't use facts