Crossmen 2019

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

That is what I am referring to. Apparently most of the percussion designers  do not believe that extended cymbal routines are valuable musically. They prefer the concert cymbal approach for the most part. Otherwise they would keep the field sections.

if you cut the line and put them in the pit, hell no it makes no sense. thats why you keep them on the field.

honestly, it's too many younger folks don't know enough to do it right, so it's easier to cut

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

1. The visual component of a cymbal line is usually more distracting than complementary.  Might be “cool” but it’s usually very separated from the rest of the visual effect.  

2.  While the breadth and depth of cymbal  musical vocabulary can be very interesting, most of it doesn’t read from the box .  

3.  Simplifying the staff composition is probably an easy call for most caption heads facing a fixed staff budget.  You don’t just hire one person for the summer anymore;  everyone wants time off to go back to their high school programs over the summer. So you need “coverage” for the entire summer.  

We used to have honor guards in every corps as well. Things evolve. Change happens whether we like it or not. Maybe plates will come back into fashion. But for now most of DCI seems to prefer a battery without them.  C’est la vie. 

quick....once something disappears from drum corps ever comes back?

I'll wait

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you cut the line and put them in the pit, hell no it makes no sense. thats why you keep them on the field.

honestly, it's too many younger folks don't know enough to do it right, so it's easier to cut

I don't agree with the above rationale. I'm sure they could write if they wanted to...they just don't believe it fits with what they are trying to achieve musically.

When they cut the line, it doesn't automatically move the players to the pit for the next year...it adds X number of openings overall to the corps total makeup. It isn't one-to-one move to the pit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not that I ever said otherwise.

But since you brought that up, a little clarification would be nice.  It is not "the corps", but really just the designers/instructors (and judges) who develop the judging system, with corps voting representatives having veto power.  The rest of the people who make up "the corps" (most notably, the marching members) have no input.

Comments like this make me wonder how monolithic are the opinions on the artistic side of drum corps?

Are there pro-cymbal and anti-cymbal camps?

22 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Cymbals are an integral instrumentation component of most Orchestra's and Symphonies world wide.  As most know here, almost all the great Classical Composers over the centuries utilize the Cymbal to one degree or another in their Music Compositions.

But its true, if the Corps do not want to use the cymbal even in the FE for their musical interpretation of a music piece, there is nothing that requires that they need to stay true to the original composer's intent with the use of the cymbal.

Personally, I love watching the few remaining Corps such as SCV utilize the cymbal in their shows in their field drill. Its awesome the way they utilize them in such a clever, and showmanship manner and not just in the FE, imo.

Rarely in orchestras are cymbals used as they are in drum corps and marching bands.

However, by that logic, corps would eliminate their batteries entirely, since there's nothing like that in most orchestral writing either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, karuna said:

2.  While the breadth and depth of cymbal  musical vocabulary can be very interesting, most of it doesn’t read from the box .  

Well, I suppose they could just use the most common modern drum corps trick of solving musical issues that don't read particularly read well from the box. Add mics to it. :bleah:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

quick....once something disappears from drum corps ever comes back?

I'll wait

Full Judging Panels supposedly was voted to come back for early season DCI shows after enough people complained that judging Drum & Bugle Corps competitions without Drum Judges, or Brass judges, or Guard judges ( or some combo thereof not included in the judged competitions )seemed like a dopey thing to do to allegedly save a few bucks. That said, bringing something back in Drum Corps ( like you said ) after it disappears is as rare as a teenager's weeky allowance return by the teenager after it disappears.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

I don't agree with the above rationale. I'm sure they could write if they wanted to...they just don't believe it fits with what they are trying to achieve musically.

When they cut the line, it doesn't automatically move the players to the pit for the next year...it adds X number of openings overall to the corps total makeup. It isn't one-to-one move to the pit.

no they couldn't, because too many don't truly understand it. it's not like writing for tenors or bass. what good moving lines do requires an understanding beyond simple crashes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Full Judging Panels supposedly was voted to come back for early season DCI shows after enough people complained that judging Drum & Bugle Corps competitions without Drum Judges, or Brass judges, or Guard judges ( or some combo thereof not included in the judged competitions )seemed like a dopey thing to do to allegedly save a few bucks. That said, bringing something back in Drum Corps ( like you said ) after it disappears is as rare as a teensager's weeky allowance return by the teenager after it disappears.

ok, but on the field......not a sheet being used or not used...actual instruments.....what comes back?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no they couldn't, because too many don't truly understand it. it's not like writing for tenors or bass. what good moving lines do requires an understanding beyond simple crashes.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO is not "can't" with the writers, it is "don't want".