Crossmen 2019

20 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO is not "can't" with the writers, it is "don't want".

don't understand. lack of education for an activity that claims to be about education

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly, it's too many younger folks don't know enough to do it right, so it's easier to cut

This. When done well they make an excellent contribution. If the score is written well the contributions of the cymbal line can be very readable. The use in the front ensemble is more for impact points. The marching cymbals add more nuance. 

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Comments like this make me wonder how monolithic are the opinions on the artistic side of drum corps?

Very.  Take a look at the freakish similarities in composition and design of modern corps.  Not that the past is much better... but recent examples are fresh in our minds.  Were you around while "any key" brass drove every key other than Bb/F out of DCI?

15 hours ago, Moomitch said:

Oh sorry...

What I actually mean is that everyone hates marching cymbals and wants to melt them all down in a giant ceremonial fire. 

In some circles this is true. 

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

never really left

Lol not really. 

Like everyone you’re all for change until it crosses your personal line. You don’t get to pick and chose.  You’re no different than the “get off my lawn Bb whiners”.  It’s just that your line is cymbals (and field percussion judges).