Crossmen 2019

15 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

How many male guard members were in the 2018 corps?

Based on a photo I found on their Instagram page, it may have only been four.

The male singer last year was a member of the guard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Very.  Take a look at the freakish similarities in composition and design of modern corps.  Not that the past is much better... but recent examples are fresh in our minds.  Were you around while "any key" brass drove every key other than Bb/F out of DCI?

I wasn't following drum corps closely then. I was under the impression that it was mainly an economic decision.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:03 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Comments like this make me wonder how monolithic are the opinions on the artistic side of drum corps?

Are there pro-cymbal and anti-cymbal camps?

I'm more in an "I don't care, why are people making such a big deal" camp

• Like 1

9 hours ago, karuna said:

Lol not really. 

Like everyone you’re all for change until it crosses your personal line. You don’t get to pick and chose.  You’re no different than the “get off my lawn Bb whiners”.  It’s just that your line is cymbals (and field percussion judges). 

i'm very pro change. this makes no sense. and with no males in the guard, any male cymbal players are truly screwed

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I wasn't following drum corps closely then. I was under the impression that it was mainly an economic decision.

For the top corps, there were economic incentives to switch.  For everyone else, pricing was cheaper for G brass. 

"Any-key brass" was presented as "more options" that would supposedly co-exist with G brass, and perhaps even invite additional key choices.  Instead, it became a competitive mandate that drove G horns out of DCI.  Voices from the judging community said as much at off-season meetings, and later in their judging tapes.

(It is not my intent to wade off-topic with this... only to address the prior question about drum corps being "monolithic".)

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

For the top corps, there were economic incentives to switch.  For everyone else, pricing was cheaper for G brass. 

"Any-key brass" was presented as "more options" that would supposedly co-exist with G brass, and perhaps even invite additional key choices.  Instead, it became a competitive mandate that drove G horns out of DCI.  Voices from the judging community said as much at off-season meetings, and later in their judging tapes.

(It is not my intent to wade off-topic with this... only to address the prior question about drum corps being "monolithic".)

I would rather not go off topic, but there are so many issues with this statement. Switching to any-key brass helped some corps continue to exist financially. Any Key brass has turned into a profit center for drum corps. After the initial investment, corps have been able to resell to schools and other organizations to MAKE money each year while also putting better instruments in the hands of the members. They were not getting that resell value with G Horns. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I would rather not go off topic, but there are so many issues with this statement. Switching to any-key brass helped some corps continue to exist financially. Any Key brass has turned into a profit center for some drum corps. After the initial investment, certain top corps have been able to resell to schools and other organizations to MAKE money each year while also putting better instruments in the hands of the members. They were not getting that resell value with G Horns. 

I agree (subject to a couple of clarifications).

36 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I agree (subject to a couple of clarifications).

No, not just the top. I was highly involved with a non-top 12 corps at the time that made money annually on their investment  2 years after the switch. That additional revenue stream kept them afloat. 

The manufacturers also have the incentive to get their equipment into more and more schools.