Crossmen 2019

1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

No, not just the top. I was highly involved with a non-top 12 corps at the time that made money annually on their investment  2 years after the switch. That additional revenue stream kept them afloat. 

That is great to know that one of the 70 such corps we had back then found a way to make it work.  Which corps are we talking about?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is great to know that one of the 70 such corps we had back then found a way to make it work.  Which corps are we talking about?

I’m not posting names and I’m done discussing. The instrumentation change helped many more corps than the average fan knows. It added a revenue stream throughout the activity that didn’t exist before. 

3 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

I’m not posting names and I’m done discussing. The instrumentation change helped many more corps than the average fan knows. It added a revenue stream throughout the activity that didn’t exist before. 

agreed it has helped corps make some cash. 

6 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

It also permits hornlines to play on new and the most up-to-date equipment available,as they rotate out their horns. 

16 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I’m not posting names and I’m done discussing. 

I guess it was a top corps, then.  Why else would you bring it up, then withhold the name?

The instrumentation change helped many more corps than the average fan knows.

... thanks, in part, to your secrecy?  :sigh:

It added a revenue stream throughout the activity that didn’t exist before. 

For some corps - not "throughout the activity".

So that this detail is not lost on everyone, some context.  Some corps get special deals on brass instruments.  The more special the corps, the more special the deal.  That enables some corps to use horns for a season or two, then sell them and get another special deal on new horns.  These corps may benefit from having relatively new horns all the time, or the chance to profit from the resale, or both, depending on how special their deal is.  But if your corps is not special, they cannot get such a deal.

Back in the day when this transition occurred, only top corps got special enough deals to do this.  The number of such "top corps" grew as more manufacturers became involved, but the principle still applies.  To illustrate, here is a breakdown of corps reselling brass instruments in 2018:

World class touring: 15 of 24

Open class touring: 1 of 15

Non-touring: 0 of 7

So for the (hopefully) final time, no argument about the benefits of the resale process.  Just be a little more candid about who benefits.

• 1 month later...

One of the things I like about the 2019 schedule is that the Crossmen will be at the Chester, PA show.  This show is in Delaware County, which was where the corps was born in the 70's out of two smaller corps.  For the early years, they practiced just a few miles from the stadium in a parking lot at Boeing.  The parking lot was lovingly called "Boeing Beach".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

One of the things I like about the 2019 schedule is that the Crossmen will be at the Chester, PA show.  This show is in Delaware County, which was where the corps was born in the 70's out of two smaller corps.  For the early years, they practiced just a few miles from the stadium in a parking lot at Boeing.  The parking lot was lovingly called "Boeing Beach".

and the former "Smoothieville" site is just up the road

• 1 month later...