Pioneer News From the Top – September 8th

17 hours ago, FTNK said:

From their statement: 

"We are seeking individuals who have knowledge, experience, and expertise in the following areas of; administration, education, non profit boards, finance, fund raising, public relations, communications, media, transportation, health and wellness plans, first aid, food service, alumni organizations, and of course, drum corps, to assist in the process of developing policies and procedures specific to these areas."

That's a lot of areas

Does this indicate proof that, in fact, the Blenski's have been doing it alone all along?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, reading this it says "interim board" not a new board is in place.  Sounds fluid and looks like they are looking for help.

I also notice some corrections about the "bus".  I'm sure some here won't step up and say they were wrong.

I don't see what is weird at all about it.

Those brite torch flames can be blinding when one is in the crowd.

Edited by garfield

18 hours ago, copyright said:

Keep in mind how long Roman has been in charge of the corps - you think all the layers of this drum corps onion can be peeled back in a month?

Also, keep in mind that those who have been asking to help for years are finally being allowed to speak into how things are run and looking to fill spots on the board.

"Creative Destruction"

I only imagine that some alums/volunteers have offered help only to find it not welcomed due to "leadership" ("Founder-itis").

Now, there's a chance that new blood will bring new ideas, directions, ideas that could, possibly, allow the "Pioneer" beast to actually thrive.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

The tone deafness of that article is ... surprising.

Mike

not really.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Someday this will all be chronicled in The Decline and Fall of Roman's Empire.

Well, there is a "Rise" portion of the Pio lifecycle to date.

Granted, the "Fall" portion seemed to have gone on for a VERY long time but some credit is due the Blenski's for the years they've dedicated to the activity.

IMO

As I'm reading these comments for a second time, I don't think the concern is that we do not know the names of the "interim board" as much as whether the unnamed "interim board" is still connected to the former  director. To say there is little to no trust is an understatement. as I said, my concern is advertising for board members, and while Jeff Ream pointed out that George Hopkins used to do the same thing, that's hardly a ringing endorsement given the critiques by some of what they believed was a rubber stamp board.

With a nameless interim board, and no one to do key tasks, I think we are missing something obvious. Is there a corps to save? Do we know if any young people who marched with Pioneer would have returned in 2019 if there was no suspension? Do we have any idea if the reputable staff (as opposed to the unqualified staff) intended on returning? If the answers are no from marching members and staff, we need to ask why is it worth saving? We could say it's for the sake of alums, but how many great corps have stopped competing? Alums could form a Pioneer alumni corps and if they can't use the same name, they can come up with a  new one. If there are a good number of kids who marched with Pioneer who live in the Milwaukee vicinity, perhaps something needs to be done and a new corps formed. Starting a new corps is a huge task.  If marching members who do not live near Milwaukee travel,  I know the other Midwest corps are more than a stone's throw away, but they could be great options. If Madison is on the upswing, that could make for a wonderful experience for the young men in the corps. Colts extended open arms to former members of Teal Sound. Jersey Surf requires more travel, but it's pretty open to working with kids of all abilities if they are committed.  I know Michigan,  and Minnesota are a hike, but I expect to continue  see great things from Legends,  and River City Rhythm. If kids who march Pioneer are from the South, why not consider Louisiana Stars? I realize that Legends, River City Rhythm, and Louisiana Stars are OC, but Pioneer claimed it was all about experience and improvement which these three corps can provide.

I do not suggest starting a new corps or sending the kids to other corps is an easy solution, but a great deal l more is needed than just good will to get Pioneer back on the field again. If there are kids who want to march, that is an important beginning, but if there are not, what is being saved?