Pioneer News From the Top – September 8th

29 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

AMEN!  and what's worse, after a corps or any group, fall or winter goes under or struggles, 1 of 2 things always happens the member who owes suddenly goes to a bigger group, makes it through and suddenly shows up with money in hand  A MIRACLE. or the new place for whatever the reason  takes them owing money elsewhere.. BAD POLICY and at least 3 of the top 7 have done, some constantly.

There are some who offer help to those in need and that's a great thing BUT just as some poor members can be conned by some places who offer and don't deliver there have also been cons on the other end.

It might be drifting to the PIO issues BUT I do think many of these things become symptoms of another...of course not abuse, that's a total different thing.

This, I find ... veddy interestink.

My guess is that corps don't check to see if any potential members owe other corps money. Maybe they view it as "not their circus, not their monkey" unless they owe THEIR organization the shekels. To me, if someone's a deadbeat, it should be a factor, though all they may really care about is having the talent and that they're paid up on their side of the equation. It would take some kind of a DCI list of deadbeats and rules to stop this, which would take more people working on things... which means effectively no one cares unless you're the corps that's been stuffed. Wow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

This strikes me as rather different than YEA in that it seemed DCI had a short list of incredibly able and great people ready to dive in immediately in that circumstance. Could be DCI is having trouble finding people willing...or on the other side, they're not as willing to accept who DCI wants in... or maybe those DCI would like to help want certain guarantees? It just strikes me as odd.

So many combinations of wth it could be. GH had control of Cadets but get the idea there were others who ran certain things or at least knew the status of what was going on. With RB micromanaging the crap out of everything wonder if anyone can really tell the status of anything. For instance who controls the book keeping and check writing at the present

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So many combinations of wth it could be. GH has control of Cadets but get th e idea there were others who ran certain things or at least knew the status of what was going on. With RB micromanaging the crap out of everything wonder if anyone can really tell the status of anything. For instance who controls the book keeping and check writing at the present

Too true. Also scary to me. Too much the flavor of what happened with Westshore at the end. I just have a deep innate distrust of too much power in one person's hands with any corps after that mess. Many of us do. :unhappy:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

Too true. Also scary to me. Too much the flavor of what happened with Westshore at the end. I just have a deep innate distrust of too much power in one person's hands with any corps after that mess. Many of us do. :unhappy:

Wasn’t following corps at end of WSM but too many examples at work of only one person knowing something and then they leave or pass away. Always should have a human backup just in case. For everyone else’s benefit I work IT for Uncle Sam. Way too much specialized knowledge spread too thin

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

My guess is that corps don't check to see if any potential members owe other corps money. Maybe they view it as "not their circus, not their monkey" unless they owe THEIR organization the shekels. To me, if someone's a deadbeat, it should be a factor, though all they may really care about is having the talent and that they're paid up on their side of the equation. It would take some kind of a DCI list of deadbeats and rules to stop this, which would take more people working on things... which means effectively no one cares unless you're the corps that's been stuffed. Wow.

Well I can tell you, in the past I personally have contacted a few of these directors, many will honor the agreement and then there are those who just don't care. The only pleasure at that point is many times the same member does it to them. I would love to see a list but even with that it's always been an honor system and clearly, there have been those in the past lacking honor. 

It may not seem a big deal to some BUT there have been corps that depend on this ( they shouldn't ) and trust for membership numbers. This shifts to a multitude of problems over the process of the summer and just adds fuel to an already started fire.

10 minutes ago, BigW said:

There is a system in place to catch financial cheaters.  Yes, corps share information.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

There is a system in place to catch financial cheaters.  Yes, corps share information.

GOOD- glad to hear it. It's just basic honesty and fairness to me. Though will they say, "we'll take you provided you meet the contractual obligations you still owe to the last corps you marched with"?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wasn’t following corps at end of WSM but too many examples at work of only one person knowing something and then they leave or pass away. Always should have a human backup just in case. For everyone else’s benefit I work IT for Uncle Sam. Way too much specialized knowledge spread too thin

Happened by accident/ignorance when Dad and another Industrial Engineer with 60+ years combined experience took early retirement at the Steel Plant they were at. They had to bring Dad in as a consultant for years afterward to help teach everyone how to do certain things that were never passed on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

and for the most part doesn't or has not worked. It's an honor system no matter what DCI says..same with WGI You can have 100 lists but they are only as good as those who honor them and DON"T take the person without paying the past place.

Another good list would be corps also who owe staff

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, BigW said:

Almost all corps use a common data system for financial standings of mms. All DCI directors have access to the corps payment status and history. It's but a mouse click away. They don't want to inherit dead beats into their own organization although one or two are notorious for putting talent over responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1