Spirit of Atlanta 2019

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Bump.  

May or may not be something out there to watch......

I really like this show.  

Indeed there is : ) 

My take is that this is a highly competitive show. Last year, the brass is what propelled them within spitting distance to Finals; this year, all captions are on board, especially the GE captions that held them out last year. In fact, I realized after watching that Spirit's rise back up has been marked and smooth in terms of the trajectory upward....from 2016 when everyone was just happy they were able to field a corps with their financial states, to Crossroads the year after which was a great show and proved they intended to rise again, up to Knock last year putting them back in Finalist contention, to this year where the design & corps itself is all clearly Finalist-worthy material. Talk about a swift and sharp rise back up the ladder of quality!!

I really love what they've got this year. Brass sounds phenomenal, guard looks strong. Visual design is fresh & unique, and more streamlined than Knock. The Krump opener is meaty, the ballad impact is bizarre and wonderful, and the Color Wheel closer is EXCELLENT. That closer really just brings everything home beautifully. I haven't been this pumped for a Spirit show in a long time. I actually am going to compare them to Cavies this year in that the identity of the corps bleeds through despite not an ounce of their traditional colors anywhere. The whole music book grooves in such an unpretentious way that you just know it's Spirit. I'm fully on board this year!

• Like 3

From the concert at Woodruff Performing Arts Center, it was announced that over 700 students auditioned for Spirit this year.  1) They're doing something right to be attracting that much attention, and 2) they must have quite a bit of talent with those kind of numbers to draw from.

Just saw the video. I was certainly expecting an improvement over last year, but I wasn't expecting THAT.

Spirit's first competition is tomorrow in Evansville, and they get to face both Phantom and Crossmen, one after another. Needless to say, both of those corps need to be on alert, because Spirit could cost one of them a spot in Finals! They are NOT playing around.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 5

Just watched it.  I am literally exhausted.

• Like 1

Go SOA! Brilliant.

• Like 1

Spirit has a fresh new show that will turn heads.  Visually they will have to clean clean clean all season long. This will be the one thing that keeps them out of finals.  Great show and I’m glad to see these guys in the thick of it again.