Best Reprise Closer?

On 9/10/2018 at 12:47 PM, Western Burger said:

Regiment 2003 is the definition of how to do a perfect reprise.

It seems like it is more common today to do a 20 second “shout out” to an earlier piece than a full on reprise.

Agree with this. Blue Devils have been very nicely using a short snippet of earlier material -- usually from their ballad -- and weaving it into their endings. 2017 was awesome, and 2015 was very effective. 

Phantom 2003 was an incredible brass book and the ending rocked. 

In the 1970s and 1980s this was definitely more common. BD was always good at this, and The Cadets with Rocky Point and even Shaker Hymn from Appalachian Spring in 1987 did it well.  Phantom's Spartacus show in 2008 had a reprise.  Madison's 1999 Superstar Reprise is awesome.  Crown in 2016 was excellent. 

On 9/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, FaustianMachine said:

No love for the ending of Frameworks and the Fight Club reprise? 

Awesome in every sense! Classic Cavaliers shows for sure. 

Almost forgot this one, and maybe someone mentioned it earlier, but Blue Devils in 1988 doing their "Happy Days" reprise with all the trumpet soloists up front while the corps marched off the field. This actually my be my fav. Close call between this and Phantom 2003.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, Cappybara said:

Reprises seem to be not as common as they used to be, but there are still so many shows with fantastic reprises that really put the perfect ribbon on a show. It seems like they are usually derived either from the opening piece or the ballad, but I personally find reprises from the opener to be more satisfying because of the symmetry and length of time in between hearing the piece. 

What are some of your favorites?

Two of mine: Phantom Regiment 2003 and Blue Devils 2012

Well Phantom 2003 certainly re-sparked the idea of a reprise in the closer so I'm going to go with that one 

It's been highlighted by previous DCP contributors but I have to again support that great garfield 87 copland show...I mean, c'mon ..the way they left the field was DOPE!!