17 years later, 9/11/2018

+1

I remember  9/11 like it was yesterday.

Was at a meeting in northern N.J, when we heard on the news about the attack.

Driving back to my office I could see the smoke from  the towers,just before they came down.

Just like everyone in this area,I knew a number of people who died that day.

• Like 2

A friend with whom I had marched in DCA's Sunrisers worked at the Trade Center, in the second tower that was hit... he and several co-workers also were there in 1993 when the WTC's parking garage was bombed. 

This time, he and his co-workers ignored the calls to stay at their desks after the first plane hit... they all got up and got out. Like he said later... "We had seen this movie once before, and didn't want to stay for the ending." A decision that saved their lives.  

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Remembering today in prayer my students Michael Cahill and Thomas Mahon, my many neighbors and fellow church members, the NYFD/PD/PA, the 24 Irish Citizens whose remains my sister Regina had to shepherd back to Ireland, the 400-500 fellow Long Islanders, the alums of the Redmen, Cadets, Bayonne, northern NJ corps and all who lost their lives at the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Shanksville, PA.

Praying too for those who still grieve them, for all the first Responders suffering from PTSD and other illnesses from working on these sites. And for peace for our nation and the world.

Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord and may perpetual light shine upon them. May they and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen. Kyrie eleison: Lord have mercy on us.

cue the music of Madison Scouts 2011, Cadets 2002, and Troopers 2014.

2 alumni of the Long Island Kingsmen lost their lives in the towers.  My coworkers and I were just discussing where we each were on 9/11.  That is something none of will ever forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

The conversation going on that day at the Sound Machine drum corps forum was riveting.

Along with the horror of the entire situation, we found out there were several drum corps-related people that were lost that day.

The Harrell brothers among them. Two NYC firefighters, and alums of NY-area corps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I will never get over what a great job the Scouts did in portraying the peoples' emotions on that day.

That show brought tears to my eyes.  I was in NY that day and they really brought the feelings across.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I will never get over what a great job the Scouts did in portraying the peoples' emotions on that day.

To the Scouts' credit, while the season developed the corps while in Bridgeport, Ct and at other shows near the East, brought mms together with people who had been connected to the tragedies of 9/11. I was privileged to speak with a  small group of the Scouts and to be engaged deeply with their questions and feelings. Several others did the same. I am glad to read that a number of those mms with whom I spoke are still engaged in DCI in various ways.

• Like 4