17 years later, 9/11/2018

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

Other posters have already mentioned Madison 2011 which I too believe was a moving tribute. I would add three other shows as well. Boston Crusaders 2002 “You are my Star.” The history buff in me has to recommend Cadets 2014 “Promise: An American Portrait” which reminds us of our ideals and another Madison show, 2013 “Corps of Brothers” reminds us people are still in service to our country fighting for our freedoms.

I know this is the DCI side of the forums,  but DCA's Skyliners... NYC's flagship drum corps... did a subtle, but powerful, tribute in their 2002 show to the 9-11 victims and heroes. It was a relatively brief moment in their show... but wow.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I know this is the DCI side of the forums,  but DCA's Skyliners... NYC's flagship drum corps... did a subtle, but powerful, tribute to the 9-11 victims and heroes in their 2002 show. It was a relatively brief moment in their show... but wow.

DCI did a nice tribute too which Cadets re-posted. But since it is on the facebook page, the DCP censors won't let the URL post. some 403 security thing.

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

A friend with whom I had marched in DCA's Sunrisers worked at the Trade Center, in the second tower that was hit... he and several co-workers also were there in 1993 when the WTC's parking garage was bombed. 

This time, he and his co-workers ignored the calls to stay at their desks after the first plane hit... they all got up and got out. Like he said later... "We had seen this movie once before, and didn't want to stay for the ending." A decision that saved their lives.  

AMEN!

I wish the 9/11 Memorial video, The one Fran, with Quest Graphics Design, put together, (with the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps) was still available.... Sadly the link is no longer working to the old location here on DCP...

OLD URL: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

I was re-directed to this link (http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2006/09/september-11-tribute/ ) but it's not there either... ☹️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TennTux said:

AMEN!

I wish the 9/11 Memorial video, The one Fran, with Quest Graphics Design, put together, (with the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps) was still available.... Sadly the link is no longer working to the old location here on DCP...

OLD URL: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

I was re-directed to this link (http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2006/09/september-11-tribute/ ) but it's not there either... ☹️

http://drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/

I watch this annually...and not just on 9/11

Thanks you to those that put it together.  And THANK YOU Madison Scouts.  There are times when music can express what words alone cannot.

• Like 2

The morning of the attack, i was a Third Class Petty Officer out to sea onboard the USS Benfold (DDG-65). We was on our way home to San Diego, few days away from our homecoming. We was wrapping up a six deployment in the middle east. I remember being woken up and being told something just New York. Luckily the ship was pointed in a direction where we got tv reception. Couple hours later, we got the word we might be turning around and heading back to the middle east. Needless to say other ships went and we ended up pulling into San Diego Friday September 14th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think about this: there are now drum corps members who weren't even born on that day.

As a youth of the 1980s, for whom the most memorable national events were Reagan getting shot and the Challenger exploding, it is astonishing to me that we are now almost as far in time from 9/11 as the assassination attempt on Reagan was from JFK's death.

(By next year, there likely will be young men and women serving in Afghanistan who weren't born when the Towers fell.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

+1

I remember  9/11 like it was yesterday.

Was at a meeting in northern N.J, when we heard on the news about the attack.

Driving back to my office I could see the smoke from  the towers,just before they came down.

Just like everyone in this area,I knew a number of people who died that day.

Me too.  I was stationed at Pentagon (USAF).  Was across street abt to head to meeting that usually met 1000 on 2nd Tues of month.

Was watching tv with abt 20 others in the general's office (he had cable - this was before streaming internet).  Felt a thump & someone said 'they just hit the Pentagon'.  Looked out window & saw fireball still going up - lots of black jet-fuel smoke as well .  There was a fire station on Eads street; I looked down (we were on 10th floor) & 2 fire trucks were moving against traffic on Rte 1.

So we started doing all the stuff to move heavy construction equipment to DC & NYC.  Also started the works for a major military deployment.  We didn't know where troops were going to go, but we knew they were going somewhere real soon.

In pm finally was able to get wife on phone.  The DC metro was running by then, so told her to go to Springfield Mall & wait by Penny's where we got kids Christmas pics taken.  Good thing she knew back roads - I-95N was backed up to Fredericksburg.  Southbound was 3am-Sunday-Morning empty.

The 1000 meeting was never officially canc'd, but for some reason no one showed up (or so I am told).

Next day we found out that my 9th grade daughter's best friend's father, who worked in the Army Budget Office, had his face burned off (except mustache - he is very proud of that).  He is the second-most wounded to have survived (he doesn't do many interviews so unlikely you will see him)

Update to story - #2 daughter went to 5th grade at school that had a bunch of kids that lived in Navy housing off rte 1 in Prince Wm Co in VA.  The Principal (his name is pronounced 'Mellon - Check', but not spelled like that) rode the bus there with kids and personally made sure that there was someone at home at every single house.  In hindsight - I don't believe there were any students who lost a parent, but this wasn't known at the time.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

The morning of the attack, i was a Third Class Petty Officer out to sea onboard the USS Benfold (DDG-65). We was on our way home to San Diego, few days away from our homecoming. We was wrapping up a six deployment in the middle east. I remember being woken up and being told something just New York. Luckily the ship was pointed in a direction where we got tv reception. Couple hours later, we got the word we might be turning around and heading back to the middle east. Needless to say other ships went and we ended up pulling into San Diego Friday September 14th. 

The Benfold?  I read a leadership book by an ex-CO of the Benfold. (It's Your Ship). 

N/M.

Not the time or place.

Edited by Fran Haring

When the attack happened I was underway as the Operations Officer on USS Ingraham (FFG 61) with the Carl Vinson Battle Group.  We were in the Indian Ocean on the way in to the Persian Gulf for a maritime interdiction deployment.  Needless to say our mission set changed and it was game on.  I stood TAO during the initial strikes and watched all the Tomahawks flynover the ship.  A month after the attack I cross-decked to the carrier and spent the rest of the deployment there for the bombing campaign.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2